FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting Project- but dreaded Missing or Offline Files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
suree cruz
Exporting Project- but dreaded Missing or Offline Files
on Oct 12, 2016 at 7:49:29 pm

I've read the boards on this topic, but can't find an answer to my frustrating problem. I'm working in 10.2.3, my project is finished and there are no red clips or with "missing/offline" files, but the actual project file ("sequence") has the little triangle with exclamation point. Is there a way to figure out which clip(s) are the problematic ones? The message comes up "The item cannot be shared while it's still referencing media on the camera". I'm not sure which clips are referencing media. Assuming it's some of my AVCHD clips.

I've been using X for a year, but only recently had to manage my media without an assistant and needless to say, I'm learning the hard way about reference files and not moving things around outside the program.

Hoping someone can help, so I can relink the clips and export this project. I have done a "select all" and relinked the clips in the project timeline. It says that none are "missing", but I do it anyway. Problem not fixed. Also, the clip window has no offline clips, titles, graphics.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Exporting Project- but dreaded Missing or Offline Files
on Oct 12, 2016 at 8:54:44 pm

You need to reimport clips from the camera as this warning is thrown when you have clips that weren't imported. Or were later lost/moved in the Finder. Easiest way to do is remove suspect clips one at a time. Hopefully you saved the originals...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

suree cruz
on Oct 12, 2016 at 9:00:49 pm

Thanks, Noah.
So you don't know a way to determine which are the troublesome clips? Like I mentioned, they are all showing up in the project timeline and playback fine, it's only on export (share) that I receive the message.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Oct 12, 2016 at 9:17:54 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Oct 12, 2016 at 9:19:15 pm

Are your clips internally or externally managed? I'm wondering if you are referencing clips that are still in copies of their original camera card directories so final cut thinks they are still on the camera.

You might try consolidating the media.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

suree cruz
on Oct 12, 2016 at 9:24:51 pm

Thanks, Jeff.

I tried consolidating my media and the same problem occurs. I don't see how the clips could be referencing files on the card because I store my SD card files on a separate hard drive that's not connected when I edit. I'm guessing I moved around a clip on the hard drive to sort it. Most likely I'll have to do a clip by clip reimport, but I was hoping someone could direct me to a place where you can see which clip(s) is the one that's unlinked? Is that feature possible in FCPX?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 12, 2016 at 11:20:57 pm

What happens if you try to export with that external drive reconnected?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 13, 2016 at 2:41:40 pm

I find this happens when a clip hasn't finished importing all the way.

FCPX will leave an improper symbolic link (alias file) linking to the original media. If you can find the errant file, you can delete the alias, and reimport.

Are your transcoded (imported) files inside the library, or external to the library?

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on Oct 13, 2016 at 3:04:36 pm

To find a problematic clip I'd 'Duplicate the Project' and in the duplicate delete all clips to (say) the right of the centre point and see if the problem goes away. If not then it is somewhere on the left of that point. Duplicate again (if necessary) and keep halving and halving until you've zoomed in on it.

FCPX and PPro 6. iMac 24 + MBP 15". Near Geneva, Switzerland

Return to posts index

suree cruz
on Oct 13, 2016 at 4:04:41 pm

Thanks, I was trying to avoid this process, but it seems that's where I'm at. Wish there was a way in X to have the clip info tell you. Most likely they didn't import correctly.

Return to posts index

suree cruz
on Oct 13, 2016 at 4:25:25 pm

Probably. My clips are in the library. But from now on, I'm going to import all footage into a central 'footage' drive. So I can avoid these issues working with multiple libraries, events and project. I have to say, this media management for me is a major hurdle and probably will result in shifting to premiere. I'm not a metadata person, so not being able to sort clips and see which clips have issues, is a big problem- especially working on a long format documentary.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 13, 2016 at 4:37:05 pm

[suree cruz] "My clips are in the library."

Quit FCPX.

Find the Library, right click on it, and choose "Show Package Contents"

You will notice folders that mirror the Event Structure of your library.

Go to any Event folders that have footage, and find the "Original Media" folder within them.

Look to see if any of the files have the little alias flag on them which has an arrow on the bottom left corner.

Return to posts index

suree cruz
on Oct 13, 2016 at 4:02:47 pm

I tried that last night to see if it could read the card files that were on the backup drive, but no luck. I think at this point, I'll just have to do the one clip at a time thing. It's frustrating that there is no "clip info" or anything to see which clip is the unlinked/reference clip.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Oct 13, 2016 at 9:05:48 pm

A partially imported clip, that fcpx thinks is still on the camera card, should have an icon showing that. If it doesn't then you're probably dealing with a project that's corrupted in some way.

I don't have it installed here at home but I'm trying to remember if Final Cut Library Manager form Arctic Whiteness gives you a list and location of offline media... although in your case it's not offline, it's just not where FCPX thinks it is.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]