FORUMS: list search recent posts

projects in timeline history

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Hayes
projects in timeline history
on Oct 11, 2016 at 8:44:15 pm

I'm working on a trailer for a documentary. I have the film set up in three projects representing each act. I would like to keep each of the three acts "active" in my timeline history so I can move back and forth between the acts and selecting bits and pieces here and there and pasting them to the new trailer project.

When I open 3 or 4 projects, it seems to forget some of them and I can't cut and paste between projects without going back to the browser and reopening the project. I would use the timeline with all THREE acts but it is too big with too many effects, etc. and is too slow.

Is there a limit to the number of projects that I can keep active? I used to remember having 7 or 8 projects open in the past, but not any more.

Running latest FCP X on Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite.

Thanks for any help.

Mark Hayes

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: projects in timeline history
on Oct 11, 2016 at 11:49:34 pm

Project history is not that reliable for this sort of thing. I think you'll have an easier workflow by simply renaming the 3 or 4 projects with a similar prefix- like FINAL or something easy to remember. Then create a Smart Collection filtering only for Projects and only for text including FINAL and then you'll have those 3 just a click away. Closest you'll get to a tabbed workflow in FCPX.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 12, 2016 at 12:40:20 am

Its not a history. Its a forward and back browser exactly like a web browser forward and back navigation. If you open 4 projects, then navigate backward 3 projects, then open another project from the browser, you've just deleted the 3 projects from your forward navigation because you've just created a new forward navigation. You've caused a rift in the navigation time continuum and nothing will ever be the same again.

Return to posts index

Patrick Donegan
on Oct 17, 2016 at 5:00:23 am

Did you attempt Noah' advise?

Seems like that is a real powerful way of doing things.

I will do it myself for my

FCP X 10.2.3 - user since FCP 1.25
iMac mid 2011, MBA mid 2012
iPhone 4
HVX-200, Shure wireless mic
Miller Solo tripod
Advanta-Jib

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]