FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX and Multicam Wedding Editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Bennett
FCPX and Multicam Wedding Editing
on Oct 11, 2016 at 6:36:40 pm

I'd like to see how others are structuring FCPX for editing multicam weddings and events? We usually use 2 to 5 cameras.

Thanks for any feedback, tips, suggestions. I don't want to try and reinvent the wheel if other already have a good system down for these types of events.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures
Capturing Your Life's Adventures!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: FCPX and Multicam Wedding Editing
on Oct 11, 2016 at 11:47:47 pm

Tons of tutorials on this. Good multicam edits start with good sync procedures on set. That's the real key. Try to use the same types of cameras and have agreed upon sync points with a great common audio recording.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Oct 12, 2016 at 12:41:29 am

The multicam editing isn't the real issue. How are your organizing to media for a weeding? Library, Event and project. Would like to know you MO for wedding.

THX

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on Oct 12, 2016 at 7:44:25 am

Make sure that no unattended cameras get stolen. I typically use six or even eight at a time in the theatres where I make videos and although I've been lucky so far it's a worry.

FCPX and PPro 6. iMac 24 + MBP 15". Near Geneva, Switzerland

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Oct 12, 2016 at 12:28:03 pm

[Ken Bennett] "How are your organizing to media for a weeding? Library, Event and project. Would like to know you MO for wedding."

There is no universal answer for this, and I'm not sure there's a consensus on what organizational method is best. Projects are just FCPX terminology for timeline, so use those as appropriate. Depending on the deliverables, you might have a project (or timeline) for a concise web-based summary, a longer one for the bride & groom, maybe even specific projects for rehearsal and reception.

Hypothetically you could import content to a separate event for each discrete activity related to a wedding. E.g, separate events for bridal shots before the wedding, for the wedding itself, and for the reception.

But even that is not really necessary now that FCPX has library-wide smart collections and searching. Assuming all the content is going to be rated and/or keyworded, you could put all content in a single event.

You could probably do a small wedding using only range-based ratings -- favorites, rejects and unrated -- which gives three separate filterable categories without even using keywords.

For a larger multicam wedding you'd probably want to develop a keyword system which suits your taste and editing style. In general I'd suggest avoiding the tendency to be overly specific or use too many categories. Before assigning a keyword, ask yourself is it really needed. E.g, at first you might tend to keyword wedding vs reception but if the camera clocks are all set properly the reception will naturally be sorted chronologically after the wedding.

This is common sense, but on any multicam shoot always ensure that each camera's time of day clock is properly set, also the clocks on any audio recorders. Doing that one step will solve many problems in post production.

This MacBreak Studio on "warp speed keywording" is good:

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Oct 12, 2016 at 11:58:18 pm

Thanks Joe. I know there are many ways to approach editing weddings in FCPX and keywords are ... KEY in projects like this. I have to keep remembering that FCPX is much smarter than my old NLE it is replacing.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]