FORUMS: list search recent posts

Closed Caption added with Compressor not showing up

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Greene
Closed Caption added with Compressor not showing up
on Oct 4, 2016 at 9:35:27 pm

I didn't see a Compressor forum so I decided this was the next best option. Hopefully you guys can help me.

I cut a 30 minute TV special in FCPX and have been delivering it to stations with a Closed Caption sidecar (separate file). Most stations are happy with that... except for one. They asked me to embed the CC into a MPEG2 file. I did this via Compressor, but when I try to view it back, the CC info does not seem to be there. Any ideas what I need to change? How do you guys add closed caption to masters?

Chad Greene : Mahoney Media : Minneapolis, Minnesota : 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.11 FCPX, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
Re: Closed Caption added with Compressor not showing up
on Oct 4, 2016 at 10:56:47 pm

This workflow won't embed the captions into the MPEG signal. It will just add it like a side car file.
You will need a Telestream app. PPro might be an option as well, but there are many reports about not working results.
An external service provider probably is the best way to go.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Oct 5, 2016 at 3:06:08 pm

Noah, yes using that workflow.

Andreas, your comments match my experience that Compressor won't embed the captions. It seems to only let me view the sidecar file. However, I find that odd because the 3PlayMedia workflow AND the Apple help files make it sound like it will work. In fact I see multiple websites showing compressor as being a good option (another example).

I have Telestream Episode. Have you had luck embedding closed caption with that?

Chad Greene : Mahoney Media : Minneapolis, Minnesota : 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.11 FCPX, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Oct 5, 2016 at 3:58:47 pm

Hello Chad,

Yes it's odd that Apple and 3PlayMedia describe that workflow as recommend.
In some cases it is working in other cases it's not working - it depends on the broadcaster.

Technically Apple solutions cannot interleave subtitle informations into the MPEG2 stream. Some people would they can, but as I worked with/and for HPA (the company Apple bought for their MXF/MPEG solutions)I know that the Apple solution only supports Audio/Video.

I'm no sure whether Episode would supply a "real" caption-audio-video solution. For what I know you need MacCaption.

Regards
Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Oct 5, 2016 at 5:34:23 pm

Thanks for the knowledge. I am now leaning toward paying to have the file made. Are their any companies you recommend?

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
on Oct 5, 2016 at 5:41:22 pm

This software could work for you when Compressor can not do the job ...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/switch-3/id1088508263?mt=12

FRANCOIS

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Oct 5, 2016 at 6:01:06 pm

I forgot Switch. I haven't tried it, but it would be worth to try - seems there is a demo available.

Unfortunately I can't help with a company recommendation since I'm in Europe and those I know here normally don't work with US CEA-60X.

- Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Oct 5, 2016 at 6:50:27 pm

Francois thanks for the idea. I downloaded the free version which plays my master just fine, but to check the CC I have to upgrade which is not worth it. It seems to only be a viewer.

So I will have to call a company in the USA to help me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]