FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing a file from GoToMeeting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Whittemore
Editing a file from GoToMeeting
on Sep 30, 2016 at 12:12:17 am

Hi there. A client gave me some MP4 files of GoToMeeting webinars they recorded. When trying to bring them into FCPX I get an error that they are not importable. I tried converting/rewrapping them using EditReady and mpeg streamclip to no avail. Doing some research I read that GoToMeeting does something with their files that makes them uneditable. GoToMeeting FAQ states:

Can I edit a recorded session?
Yes. You can use third-party editing software such as TechSmith Camtasia® to edit recording files. Just make sure that they have been converted first.

So I'm not sure what to think. Has anyone run into this and if so, did you find a way around it?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Editing a file from GoToMeeting
on Sep 30, 2016 at 12:52:49 am

I would suggest opening the files on your desktop- assuming you can play within GoToMeeting. Then do a screen recording- with QuickTime Player File>New Screen Recording, or your favorite tool.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Matt Whittemore
on Sep 30, 2016 at 12:55:13 am

I'm able to play them. When I tried doing a screen recording with qt, the audio doesn't get recorded.

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
on Sep 30, 2016 at 1:42:34 am

You can do this recording and get system audio with "screenflow" great but expensive or with "screenflick" also great but not more affordable ... this can output ProRess file

https://store.araelium.com/screenflick

FRANCOIS

Return to posts index

Matt Whittemore
on Sep 30, 2016 at 1:43:34 am

Thanks! I'll try it out.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 30, 2016 at 4:20:07 am

Or if you want to stay free- here's how to get System Audio with QT Player alone:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/record-your-computers-screen-with-audio-on-a-ma...

-Noah

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 30, 2016 at 3:25:51 pm

I've learned some cool things in this thread, but I have to believe there's a better way to convert the Gotomeeting format than a brute-force real-time screen re-record. That's effective, but not elegant, and if the webinars were long, this is also a time suck.

So, I would have thought there was another utility out there that can read the gotomeeting stuff directly and make the conversions. Has anybody tried it with VLC for example?

Return to posts index

Matt Whittemore
on Sep 30, 2016 at 3:27:34 pm

I was hoping for that too Mark. There's hours of webinars. Not looking forward to auving to play them all in real time.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 30, 2016 at 4:02:24 pm

It might be that you *think* you converted to MP4 but it's still in their proprietary codec... A quick look thru their instructions shows this:

Convert a recording

Note: The recording may take some time to process and convert, depending on which recording media format you chose. If you didn't choose a location to save your recording to before the session started, the recording file is located in the My Documents folder by default.

1. Open the Recording Manager.

2. Under "Recordings you need to convert", any unconverted files will be listed (both the most recent session and any past sessions that were not yet converted). Use the check boxes to select the files that you wish to convert.

Note: If you do not see the session recording you are looking for, simply locate it on your computer and move it to the specified Recordings folder. It will then automatically appear in the "Recordings you need to convert" section.

3. Use the "Choose a file format" drop-down menu to select the desired format:

.MP4 (Windows and Mac) Can be played on most Windows, Mac and mobile devices
.WMV (Windows only): Can be played on all Windows devices, as well as some Mac and mobile devices
.MOV (Mac only): Can be played on most Mac and mobile devices using Quicktime

Note: If you are converting a recording that was made in 2012 or earlier, then you must use .WMV format (.MP4 will not work correctly).

......So, maybe try the .mov extension instead?

Return to posts index

Matt Whittemore
on Sep 30, 2016 at 8:42:57 pm

I suppose they will have to do it on their end.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 1, 2016 at 2:00:16 pm

The takeaway is that goto meeting is not all that focused on creating easy to edit footage as their core biz.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]