FORUMS: list search recent posts

copy and paste MATCH COLOR- possible?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paul
copy and paste MATCH COLOR- possible?
on Sep 28, 2016 at 4:51:42 pm

Is it possible to copy and paste the match color attribute? It seems like I can copy almost any atribute of ONE clip to another clip (like a color correction) but I do not find a way to copy "match color". I thought I could probably save the match color as effect but I can't. I am editing an interview which was filmed with different cameras. I've matched the colors and did a fitting color correction and now I would just copy and paste my match color together with my color correction attribute to all the other clips (which is exactly the same clip / one long take from one camera). So is it possible or is the solution: You should have nested it in advance and edited with your nest?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: copy and paste MATCH COLOR- possible?
on Sep 28, 2016 at 5:54:51 pm

It is applied based on the individual clip values itself so just turning it on is the same as copying it. The effect is the same and has no parameters so no reason to copy it. The color board or plugins like Color Finale offer much finer control over color.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Sep 28, 2016 at 6:11:13 pm

I think you understood me wrong or there is a misunderstanding so I will try to explain the situation in more detail. I have an interview filmed with 2 different camera models. 1 close up 2 wide angle shot. Now the interview jumps back and forth between those shots. Both cameras where on a tripod - it's all static so not much variation - no sudden colour changes. So here is what I did and had to do: wide angle shot is very dark. Close up looks good. I colour match the wide angle shot with the close up - everything looks great. Now I apply a colour correction on top of both clips. Now I still have a lot of wide angle shots in my time line that are way too dark because I didn't do a match colour on those yet. Match colour can not be copied. So I disable the colour correction of my close up "reference clip" and match the colour of all my remaining wide angle shots in the time line which are all the same (just different parts of the interview). After that I turn on my CC again and copy all my CCs to the other clips. Doing match colour over 20 times is a pain in the butt and yes I use match colour together with a colour correction. So once again: isn't there a way to copy match colour / make my life easier?

Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Sep 28, 2016 at 8:35:39 pm

Apparently not. I was just trying to do something with match color and couldn't find a way to copy it. It would be handy to have.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Sep 28, 2016 at 9:38:05 pm

Sorry - no. There's no way to copy/paste any of those automated options but you can select all the unmatched clips and then apply match colour to all of them at the same time.

----
(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for any stupid mistakes or bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 28, 2016 at 11:41:08 pm

If you want to copy and paste, then get rid of Match Color on the first clip. Do the match strictly with the Color Board or Color Finale. Then copy and paste the resulting filters.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Sep 29, 2016 at 1:59:23 pm

First of all THANKS again for your replies. You guys are great.

„Sorry - no. There's no way to copy/paste any of those automated options but you can select all the unmatched clips and then apply match colour to all of them at the same time.“

Thanks a lot! That’s a great advice and that’s also what I did in the end. Now I might need to change the CC of those clips later. The clips are already in my time line. Is there a way to tag the clips that are in my time line so the next time when I want to change the CC I just have to change it ONCE. So far if there is a change I 1) CMD click each clip that has the same CC on it 2) Click on delete CC and 3) paste the new CC on top of all still selected clips. Maybe there is a faster way of doing this with tags and labels or rolls or what not. Any idea?

Oliver:
„If you want to copy and paste, then get rid of Match Color on the first clip. Do the match strictly with the Color Board or Color Finale. Then copy and paste the resulting filters.“

Not sure if I read this correctly but basically you are telling me: Forget about the Match Color feature and do it yourself by hand using a color correction which is something that can be copied over to other clips.
Did I interpret this correctly? Or is there something like a match feature inside the color board that I am not aware of (I think not. The „match feature“ is me doing it. Like I’ve said I’ve used match to get into the right direction because it saves a lot of time with different cameras and then also did a CC. I think it’s quite a pity that there is a great feature like match color and then you can’t make total use of it and you advise me to just not use it).

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 29, 2016 at 3:07:20 pm

[Michael Paul] "Not sure if I read this correctly but basically you are telling me: Forget about the Match Color feature and do it yourself by hand using a color correction which is something that can be copied over to other clips.
Did I interpret this correctly? "

Correct. Do it manually.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 29, 2016 at 3:29:37 pm

You might want to have a look at a dedicated plug-in like Hawaiki AutoMatch which gives you a lot more control over the process (and generally better results than the built-in Match Color effect) and of course allows you to save presets and copy and paste settings between clips, which is what you are wanting to do.

http://hawaiki.co/automatch.html

It takes a lot of the guesswork out of matching - which can be a challenge even for experienced colorists.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Sep 30, 2016 at 2:24:26 pm

Thanks a lot! That sounds great. Also I really don't think the Match Color effect in FCPX (which isn't an effect- I know) isn't bad- other NLES do not seem to have this. It can save me a few minutes of work. So it is a shame that it can not be copied like an effect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]