FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relink layout Audio with final Audio not working - Relinked files must have the same media type

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paul
Relink layout Audio with final Audio not working - Relinked files must have the same media type
on Sep 28, 2016 at 12:30:41 pm

I've got some layout audio from pondfive music. Now I've purchased the song without the watermark. I want to replace the watermarked version with the actual song. If I try to replace the song with the new song (it's exactly the same song. Same lenght. Also mp3 just without the watermark) using File- Relink Files I get the following error message:

"A modified original file was found in “Name of my Event” Event, but it could not be relinked.

Relinked files must have the same media type and similar audio channels as the original files, and must be long enough to cover all the clips that reference the files.

One or more files could not be relinked."

I did a lot of googling and a lot of people seem to have this problem. I even found 1 year old comments on youtube of people having the same problem under a video by the Ripple Training guys but I have not found a single answer just that people have the same problem. I thought I would be smart and I could trick FCPX by moving the watermarked song into a new folder and just leaving my purchased song with the same name in my music folder so on start up on FCPX it would just use this file because it finds only this file with exactly the same name in the folder but FCPX noticed this - no idea how exactly. Might add some meta data or something to clips or what exactly does it do? How can I trick it?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Relink layout Audio with final Audio not working - Relinked files must have the same media type
on Sep 28, 2016 at 1:30:49 pm

The trick at the start of the project is to put the scratch audio file inside a compound clip, then edit with that. Once the edit is done, you can replace the compound clip's audio content with the non-watermarked version.

There's no way I know of to go back and replace it after the fact if FCPX decides the files don't match.

----
(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for any stupid mistakes or bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
Re: Relink layout Audio with final Audio not working - Relinked files must have the same media type
on Sep 28, 2016 at 2:59:47 pm

Yeh that was going to be my solution for the next time as well. Nesting it, editing with the nest and then replacing the audio inside the nest once I have bought it. It seems like a work around though. FCPX SHOULD BE ABLE TO REPLACE FOOTAGE. In fact this video deals EXACTLY with my problem:

So it should be able to do this but a lot of people in the comment section say
"Incompatible File: The new file is not long enough to cover clip Relinked files must have the same media type and similar audio channels as the original files, and must be long enough to cover all the clips that reference the files."

So yeh a lot of people seem to have this problem and I will use your work around in the future but it seems wrong. An editing program should be able to replace footage with other footage and if there is an option for this it clearly must be a bug :P

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Sep 28, 2016 at 3:00:47 pm

Also like I've said renaming the audio file with the exact name of the previous audio and storing it at the same exact location still won't trick FCPX and it will just tell me "offline". I am curious how it detects that it is a different file and how to trick FCPX into thinking that it is exactly the same file.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 28, 2016 at 5:57:52 pm

Yup have dearly missed Force Relink.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Sep 28, 2016 at 8:55:38 pm

The criteria for a match is supposed to be size, name, bitrate, duration, number of channels, and codec.

----
(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for any stupid mistakes or bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]