FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing Audio & multiple video clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mandy Leonardo
Syncing Audio & multiple video clips
on Sep 26, 2016 at 7:14:32 pm

I have one audio file and multiple video clips. I want to create separate synced clips for each video. I have them all imported in one event. When I select the part of the audio I desire and then just one video clip, it keeps selecting all of the video clips in between as well. Is there a way to have everything under one event and then just be able to select only the video that goes with the audio I'm selecting?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Syncing Audio & multiple video clips
on Sep 26, 2016 at 9:06:44 pm

Are you option-selecting?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on Sep 27, 2016 at 12:10:44 pm

No, I'm using Shift and selecting. Option select doesn't do anything.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Sep 27, 2016 at 4:36:32 pm

[Mandy Leonardo] "I'm using Shift and selecting. Option select doesn't do anything."

In Macs, CMD+select is for selecting separate items. It is similar to how CTRL+select works in Windows.

By "When I select the part of the audio I desire", are you trying to select a limited range on a longer audio clip and sync the video to that range as a discrete synced clip (ie file)? If so that is not how sync works, whether in FCPX, Premiere or Plural Eyes. They all create a single synced "clip" regardless of how many source clips.

If you simply want to sync multiple video clips to a longer continuous audio clip, that is a common procedure. Frequently an audio recorder runs the entire time and cameras are stopped and started. In FCPX the procedure would be select them all then create a single multicam or synchronized clip, using audio to sync. Then if you want "separate synced clips", just select ranges from that big sync/multicam clip and favorite them or keyword them. Those ranges can searched, added to a timeline and handled as if they were discrete clip files or separate synced clips.

There may be long gaps between the video clips, say if the audio recorder was left running over a lunch break. However the skimmer and browser in FCPX are so fast this is normally no problem. You just zoom in and mark the ranges in the Event Browser, then favorite or keyword them. It may help to turn on audio waveforms in the browser by View>Show Waveforms, also stretch out the filmstrip view by using the slider at the bottom right of the browser.

If you don't like the long gaps I suppose you could open the synchronized clip in the timeline, cut out the long "gap" clips, then make similar cuts to the audio clip, but that seems unwieldy and not how FCPX is designed to work.

Likewise you could make a big synced clip with multiple video and one long audio file, add the whole thing to the timeline, blade each shorter synced sub-clip, then add each back to the browser via creating a compound clip of each one. However this also would be unwieldy and not how FCPX is designed to work.

I am speculating on a lot of the above, just trying to guess what you may have in mind. In general the best procedure in FCPX is do most of your initial work in the Event Browser and make extensive use of its ability to mark and tag keyword ranges.

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on Sep 27, 2016 at 5:24:34 pm

CMD select worked. Thank you! And thanks for all of that other info too! I appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 28, 2016 at 12:49:25 am

Command Selecting- exactly. Serves me right for answering on phone vs Mac...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]