COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jenn Lindsay
keywording timeline footage?
on Sep 26, 2016 at 11:06:46 am
Last Edited By Jenn Lindsay on Sep 26, 2016 at 11:08:47 am

Hi folks!

I hope this post finds you well :)

I imported a bunch of footage and audio recently only to discover that my Sennheiser boom attachment must have been turned off our out of battery when I filmed and didn't record any basic scratch audio to assist my sync with the higher-quality simultaneous audio I recorded with my H4N Zoom. So I synced the external audio manually (see screenshots below). But the footage with audio now exists in a timeline instead of in an event, so I can't append keywords. Keywords and smart collections are a major part of my workflow. What is the best way to get timeline footage condensed or exported/reimported so it can be intact in an event and eventually be keyworded?

Thanks so much!!
Jenn Lindsay

http://www.JennLindsay.com
iMac 27-inch, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7. 4GB GPU.
FCPX

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: keywording timeline footage?
on Sep 26, 2016 at 8:14:22 pm

To do it quickly I'd make compound clips of the footage, then keyword those new clips in the event browser.

Alternatively, if there were a lot of individual clips on the timeline md I needed to keep them that way, I'd consider sending the timeline to Resolve then have Resolve export it as individual clips and bring those new clips back into FCPX.

----
(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for any stupid mistakes or bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 26, 2016 at 9:08:22 pm

Reveal in Browser would at least id the clips you are working with. Or smart collection set to show used clips from that project.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Sep 27, 2016 at 5:39:44 pm

[Jenn Lindsay] "I synced the external audio manually (see screenshots below). But the footage with audio now exists in a timeline instead of in an event, so I can't append keywords....What is the best way to get timeline footage condensed or exported/reimported so it can be intact in an event and eventually be keyworded?
"

This is some more info on what Jeff and Noah said. Just because you are using a clip in a timeline doesn't mean it cannot be keyworded. Make sure you have View>Show Used Media Ranges enabled, then do CMD+1 (Select Event Browser), then CMD+F (Open filter pane), and press the + key to filter on used media ranges. This will show in the browser only those clip ranges you have added to the timeline. You can also create a Smart Collection for the used clips, that way it's handy and always ready. Those used clips can be keyworded however you want, even though they are already used in a timeline.

Remember to cancel the filter when you are finished (note the orange checkbox at the upper right of the browser pane).

However a complication is since you manually synchronized the clips in the timeline (probably using detatched audio), when filtering on Used Media this will show the separate audio and video clips in the browser. While you can keyword ranges within those clips, they are not synchronized so of little use.

As Jeff said it's probably best to create a compound clip from your current timeline, that puts a single synchronized clip in the Event Browser, where you can keyword ranges and favorites. Those can be queried and used in subsequent development of the project, even though they are already used in the timeline.

Given this situation in the future it might simplify things if you'd manually synchronize the clips in the Event Browser vs the timeline. In the browser, just select the clips, right-click and select New Multicam or Synchronized clip but de-select "Use audio for synchronization" (since your video clips don't have any audio). Then double-click on the non-synchronized clip in the Event Browser and move the clips to manually sync them. They will stay that way. The resultant manually synchronized clip can be range marked, keyworded, etc -- all before adding anything to the timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]