FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why are my custom generators going offline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Why are my custom generators going offline?
on Sep 24, 2016 at 5:15:14 am

Just curious if there's a way to find out why an FCP X generator (published from Motion) will go offline when going from one computer to the next.

• FCP X library is on a external drive.
  • Generator plugins are in the same directory (top library level for FCP X, not user level library - I like to make sure they're available to all user accounts.
  • The hard drive names on all computers are the same.

Strange thing is that some one or two generators behave this way. Other generators that I've created seem to work just fine. Is there a way to determine where the offline FCP X generator is looking?

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
Re: Why are my custom generators going offline?
on Sep 24, 2016 at 12:46:23 pm

If you need it available for all users on every computer you need to place the Motion things in "/Library/Application Support/Final Cut Pro/Templates.localized/"
For the folders inside this directory the same rules apply as for "~/Movies/Motion Templates.localized/".

Keep your eye on the ".localized" extension.

To check your projects on different computers download my X-FX Handler: http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/X-Files/X-FXHandler/

Macbreak Studio recently showed it in action: http://www.provideocoalition.com/locating-missing-fx-final-cut-pro-x/

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Sep 24, 2016 at 1:54:48 pm

That's the directory I put all of my custom made generators in on work, home, and laptop computers. Why would it not work on one computer, but work on the other two though?

I will take a look at your software.

It'd be nice if one could right-click the generator and have a reveal in Finder option to see where it's trying to look. Another alternative is to reconnect missing generators and effects the way we do video and audio, but that's not an option either.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Sep 27, 2016 at 8:59:17 am

Have you found the reason?
Another thing you can try: open Terminal, drag the generator from the "good" machine to the terminal window, copy the path displayed and paste it to a text doc.
Move the text doc to the bad machine, copy the path text, open Terminal, paste and hit return. If you get an error message the path from the "good" machine can't be found.
Now find the generator on the bad machine and proceed as described above.
Paste the new path (as new line) in the text doc and compare the lines to find the difference.
Create a matching dir/path structure and move the generator(s) to the right place.

Spherico

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Sep 29, 2016 at 5:47:03 pm

I used your tool and it did help me resolve one of my custom generator plugins. It was simply a path issue was different between two computers. Once I fixed it, it worked fine.

However what still doesn't work is sending the XML from one computer to the next, the drop zones in another custom generator I made lose their content on the other computer even though the library (a copy of the original library) has the images for those drop zones.

Would you happen to know if drop zone content is not supported in the XML spec for FCP X? If this is the case, then We can never created generators with drop zones and expect the media to by populated correctly between two computers using XML; even if both computers have copies of the same library.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Sep 30, 2016 at 2:45:51 am

Would you happen to know if drop zone content is not supported in the XML spec for FCP X? If this is the case, then We can never created generators with drop zones and expect the media to by populated correctly between two computers using XML; even if both computers have copies of the same library.

Unfortunately Drop Zones are not supported at all. Many people filed as bug, but nothing ever happened.
You should do that as well.

- Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]