FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there any equivalent to media manager for FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Is there any equivalent to media manager for FCP X?
on Sep 23, 2016 at 5:57:12 pm

I'm about to do a bit of travel, and I wanna edit on the road. I have a few projects I'd like to play with, and I'd like to export just the section of the clips in the various projects so I can play with them. Is there any way to do this in FCP X?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Is there any equivalent to media manager for FCP X?
on Sep 23, 2016 at 6:58:07 pm

Select the project(s) and choose file>new library from selection (or something similar). You'll then need to open the new library and consolidate the footage to ensure it's not still linked Tont he other library's external locations.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Sep 24, 2016 at 5:54:11 pm

Just to make sure before doing this....this wont mess with the footage's placement in other libraries and its connection to the external files?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 25, 2016 at 3:23:44 am

It won't delete or move any media. Only copy or link (in the case of external media). The latter is why you have to hit consolidate. Any external media will just be linked to. Consolidating will COPY that media to the media location (either external or internal) of the new library.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Sep 26, 2016 at 4:28:10 pm

I did this and it worked well. I noticed it copied over the entire file and not just the snippet of the video clip that's in the project. Is there a way to have it only copy to the library the small snippet I used or will it always copy the full clip?

I'm doing this to work on stuff on a portable drive while traveling so I dont typically need the whole clip and I have space limitations cause of the drive too.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 26, 2016 at 10:13:20 pm

Not with FCP X itself. You can round trip through Resolve but of course you'd lose most your effects and titles and such. There are some third party solutions for exporting sequences and clipping the media but they're mostly for exporting to AE or Motion.

It's only an issue if you're trying to backup really long, optimized files. No need to back up the optimized, and camera media is often of the highly compressed h264 nature, so it's not such a bad thing. But if you're taking in multiple hours long camera shot it will start to get beefy. But space if cheap.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]