FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bugs when making changes to multicam clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate McCallister
Bugs when making changes to multicam clips
on Sep 20, 2016 at 8:32:09 pm
Last Edited By Nate McCallister on Sep 20, 2016 at 8:37:18 pm

Hello, I have been searching all over to try and get a better understanding of this issue, but I haven't been able to find anything.

Mac Pro 2013 running OS X 10.11.6
FCPX 10.2.3

I have been working on a large multicam project for a client. Essentially, we got all the footage for the project delivered as a ProRes transcodes. After putting together the project we found that the transcodes had a few issues and got a copy of the original MXF files. Since then I have started replacing the ProRes files in the multicams with MXF files.

First I tried doing this through selecting each multicam in the event browser and opening the angle editor. I would delete the ProRes file from the angle and replace it with a MXF and sync to the monitoring angle. This works fine in the angle editor, but none of these changes would carry over to the timeline. When opening the multicam clip in angle editor from the timeline I see an my original ProRes multicam with no changes.

Second I tried making the same changes to the muticam clip, but this time opening the clip in angle editor from the timeline. Once I replaced the ProRes file with the MXf the change immediately reflected in the timeline. But, if I open the multicam in angle editor from the event browser no changes have been made. To see what was going on I selected the multicam in the timeline and selected "Reveal in Browser." Once I did that a new multicam clip is created in the event browser with a " 1" appended to it's name.

Now that I know what is going on I can just select Reveal in Browser across all the clips in the timeline and hide the old multicam clips in the Event Browser, but I have been asking around and haven't found anyone else that has run into this. Essentially, it seems the multicam's in my timeline are no longer connected to the multicams in my Event Browser and instead connected to invisible duplicate clips that only appear one I have selected "Reveal in Browser" from the timeline.

Anyone else run into this and have any ideas what is going on?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Bugs when making changes to multicam clips
on Sep 25, 2016 at 3:59:03 am

I could be wrong, but I'll bet you have made a snapshot of your project at some point. And now you're editing the snapshot. This is precisely why snapshots should not be edited. Creates a mess. Snapshots are set as a standalone version of the timeline with their own compounds and multi cams. They no longer link back to the ones in the browser because, you'd be able to screw up the snapshots by mucking with stuff in the browser. So those compounds and multi cams are hidden, until you hit reveal in browser, because they'd be cluttering up the place needlessly.

Think of snapshots as a backup. A moment in time you can go back to in emergency.

Generally, when i'm versioning my timelines, I send off a copy to the client, then I immediately snapshot it. The snapshot is the backup and I continue working on same timeline and renaming it as v2, v3, etc. When i snapshot it, the v# is baked into the snapshot name as well.

Return to posts index

Nate McCallister
on Sep 25, 2016 at 12:44:07 pm

Thank you Brett, I am pretty sure this is exactly what happened. I forgot to duplicate a project a while back and then wanted to return to a pervious version and must have used the snapshot by mistake.

Thanks for the info about how snapshots work. Very helpful. Makes perfect sense in retrospect.

Video Editor & Producer
FCPX / Adobe Premiere Pro
http://www.natemccallister.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 25, 2016 at 4:40:32 pm

In all fairness that's just my take on how they should be used. Everybody's workflow is different. Glad it helped!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]