FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to DESELECT override connection

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paul
how to DESELECT override connection
on Sep 16, 2016 at 9:18:15 am

So I've just discovered the override connection feature and it changed the way I use FCPX dramatically. I LOVE that feature but I can NOT deselect it. So my question is: HOW do I deselect it?
I press CMD+^ (German default settings) in order to active it and then I've got it- pressing CMD+^ again does nothing. The override connection tool is still active and I do not know what to press in order to get back to my normal selection tool. Any idea? I've just recently updated my version of FCPX so I am using the latest version. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
Re: how to DESELECT override connection
on Sep 16, 2016 at 9:53:31 am

Alright it is a BUG. I have fixed it and here is the solution for everyone else who might bump into this problem in the future: With the default key CMD + ^ it gets locked in and won't be able to get deselected. ^ wasn't taken at all so I saw no need for any modifier like CMD. So I simply assigned ^to override connection and that way it works. Now I just hope FCPX saves that short cut and won't forget about it when I reboot.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 16, 2016 at 11:50:51 pm

There are actually quite a few controls that get messed up on non-US keyboards. Always worth submitting a note about it to Apple just so they add it to the list- http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 17, 2016 at 10:17:52 am

[Michael Paul] "Alright it is a BUG."

Yes, it is. One that has existed for as long as the command. I in fact even include the "fix" as a precursor in my training before I show it in practice. I have reported it to Apple on several occasions, telling them exactly that: "leave out the command key!", so one can only hope it is fixed in a future update. In which case btw you'll have to switch back to the DEFAULT layout to get it. Whereby you have to do that anyway to get any and all NEW shortcuts introduced with any given update.

- RK

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Sep 17, 2016 at 11:52:43 am

I've saved the default settings as "Default German" and then switched to English FCPX so I can always look up commands and compare the German set up with the English set up to find the keys some tutorials are talking about. I see a lot of American users use the / key for playing just the selection or the beginning. I have not found the German key for this yet. Do you have any idea? It's not a big problem because I just use space or shift I to jump to my in point. Totally off topic and I am doing fine at the moment but is it possible to use in and out on connected clips and remove something from the connected clips that way? It seems like in and out only works on the primer so I find myself working with the mouse a lot when adding b roll clips on top of the primer (Didn't want to open a new thread for this). Thanks.

Also what other important buttons that I might need get screwed up if I am not using an American keyboard?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 17, 2016 at 12:43:37 pm

[Michael Paul] "I see a lot of American users use the / key for playing just the selection or the beginning. I have not found the German key for this yet."

That would be "Auswahl wiedergeben" and/or "Umgebung abspielen"…

[Michael Paul] "is it possible to use in and out on connected clips "

Sure. Use the CLIP Skimmer + I and O.

[Michael Paul] "what other important buttons that I might need get screwed up if I am not using an American keyboard?"

Nothing gets "screwed up". Only if new shortcuts are added with an update, you (obviously) won't have them in your custom layout. The reason why e.g. a lot of people weren't seeing the command for overriding the connections at first either when it was first introduced and were confused.

Sounds like someone needs my training. ;-))

Grüße,
- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]