FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX won't remember CERTAIN keyboard commands while it rembers others...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paul
FCPX won't remember CERTAIN keyboard commands while it rembers others...
on Sep 8, 2016 at 10:52:09 am

https://i.imgsafe.org/141971b0dc.png

So for some reason my copy of Final Cut Pro X won't remember certain keyboard short cuts. I have set SHIFT + UP ARROW for zoom in (to time line) and SHIFT + DOWN ARROW = ZOOM OUT (of time line).
I click on SAVE and yet for some reason EACH time I start up FCPX it remembers my ZOOM IN (up) but it has forgotten about ZOOM OUT (shift down arrow). I can't figure out WHY and what to do about this.

I also do not understand why (see screenshot below): https://i.imgsafe.org/141971b0dc.png
1) there are 3 "zoom out" options- they are all just named "zoom out" so what is what?
2) I can actually see SHIFT DOWN for ZOOM OUT in the Command List but not under Key Detail- what a contradiction, isnt it?

Thanks a lot for your help. You guys are great!

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: FCPX won't remember CERTAIN keyboard commands while it rembers others...
on Sep 8, 2016 at 11:49:05 am

I've found that trying to remap Zoom In and Zoom Out in FCPX to be unpredictable and buggy.

You're seeing that it forgets the shortcut. When I remapped it to Up Arrow and Down Arrow it changed how zoom actually worked. It normally zooms in around the playhead, but my system would zoom in to random points. Here's a video demonstrating it:

https://reels.creativecow.net/film/fcpx-zoom-possible-bug

I think it's a bug.

In regards to seeing "Zoom out" listed multiple times - I think that's just showing you every keyboard shortcut for Zoom Out. Cmd - (twice, because I assume left command and right command), and Shift Down. It's all the same zoom, just mapped to several places.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Sep 8, 2016 at 11:51:41 am

Can't help but think it'd be easier to just learn the default shortcuts.

(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for the stupid mistakes and bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Sep 8, 2016 at 12:29:54 pm

I just assign the * and / keys on the keypad for zoom in and zoom out. Works fine with no problems and I don't need to use any modifiers.

The arrow keys are way more valuable for nudging by frame and moving from edit to edit IMHO. I've used those keys for those functions for years and my muscle memory is locked in on them.

There are conflicts with other operations if you try to assign them to certain functions.

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Sep 8, 2016 at 12:37:02 pm

So it's a common bug and there is no fix so the solution is to just give in and surrender?

/ and * for zoom in and out is NO solution because I constantly have my RIGHT hand on my mouse which is next to the number block. Reaching over to /* with the left hand is quite complicated each time. Also you should note that I have a German keyboard where the layout is a bit different.

Still I am very open for any other shortcut suggestions or any "hacking" solutions so that FCPX does what it's supposed to do ;)
Default is CMD - and CMD + . It makes sense but also a terrible layout (if you look at a Germany keyboard).

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Sep 8, 2016 at 1:07:52 pm

There are so many possible ways to re-map functions to keys I'm sure you can find one that works for you and doesn't create any problems.

I don't find it a problem to use my right hand on the keypad since the mouse is right next to it, literally 2 inches away so the * and / work great for me.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Sep 8, 2016 at 1:26:44 pm

[Michael Paul] "So it's a common bug and there is no fix so the solution is to just give in and surrender? "

For now - yes. Sorry.

In the meantime - submit a bug report.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 8, 2016 at 2:27:55 pm

I'd suggest a preference reset and delete/redownload FCPX from the App Store as it looks like corruption in your preferences.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Sep 8, 2016 at 3:06:14 pm

Could you kindly test that short on your machine and see if it works (with a restart) so I can tell if it's just me or a common problem that can not be fixed and a workaround is the only solution. Thank you.

Also I think I will just get used to the standard short cuts even though they don't seem to be thought out much. Don't get me wrong. The English short cuts all seem to be great and thought out but the German short cuts are like "dang lets just put something there that might work" - I've often noticed localisations are a tad bad for Apple products like standard messages on OSX got CUT OFF (common stuff) because the text was too large for the text box OSX provided and they also wouldn't shrink the font. Awful stuff. So I feel its a bit the same for FCPX. If you are located in the USA and use the American Engish version of their products everything works fine -if it's something foreign you are a bit screwed and left out but that's off topic so never mind and forget about my personal experience :)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 8, 2016 at 3:53:13 pm

It could definitely be due to a keyboard issue- I use those commands all the time with zero issue on English keyboard.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Sep 8, 2016 at 4:08:41 pm

You have Zoom In and Zoom Out mapped to Shift Up and Shift Down and you aren't seeing this issue?

I just remapped my keyboard (US English) to test what Michael Paul is seeing, and I'm seeing exactly what he is. It works when you first map it, but when you restart the Zoom Out is no longer mapped.

It shows it's mapped when you search for Zoom Out, but if you select the Down Arrow it's no longer listed, and no longer works.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 8, 2016 at 7:52:46 pm

Are you certain you're not colliding with any system settings in Accessibility? File a report with Apple FCPX feedback.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Sep 8, 2016 at 8:05:36 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Are you certain you're not colliding with any system settings in Accessibility?"

Checked that - nothing colliding there. And I can remap Shift Down in other apps just fine, and the setting sticks. Try it on your system - I'd be interested to see if it sticks for you, or if it resets when you shut down/reopen FCPX.

[Noah Kadner] "File a report with Apple FCPX feedback."

I filed a report about zoom bugs a while ago. May as well file another one.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]