FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Finale: Supports XRite Color Checker or not?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Georg P. Mueller
Color Finale: Supports XRite Color Checker or not?
on Sep 8, 2016 at 8:17:47 am

Although there were a couple of announcements and advertisings by XRite and Color Grading Central I am not sure whether the XRite color checker is actually supported or not. There was a brief mention about a public beta in Denver Riddle's video but it does not explicitly say that the current version does NOT support XRite.

I am on version 1.5.3 and there are no options to select the chart in the inspector (as seen in the ad). Clicking the gear icon the checkbox "Use CMS" (no idea what it means) does not function. "Display Chart Grid" does not work either - when I click the match button the image goes black. Maybe I just don't get how to use it.

So is the color checker supported in the current version of color finale or not? I couldn't find clear information either way.

Return to posts index

Georg P. Mueller
Re: Color Finale: Supports XRite Color Checker or not?
on Sep 8, 2016 at 9:50:59 am

To answer my own question - it DOES work - kind of. I was messing with a close-up shot of the color checker and for the life of it I can't make it work. But then I tried with a wider shot and lo and behold - after selecting the "Display Grid Chart" checkbox the image slightly dimmed and I was able to click on each corner (first yellow, then green, etc.) I could mask out all the color boxes and successfully auto-matched the image.

I went back and tried the same thing with the close up shot of the color checker video - nothing happens no matter what box I check and where I click in the image window. It does not even dim down.

It's probably my mistake, but I searched for clear instructions and didn't find any (only instruction videos for one of the previous versions). "Display Chart Grid" is not very intuitive. Perhaps it should be called "Mask out Chart Grid".

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Sep 8, 2016 at 11:55:10 am

I was under the impression this was only available in the pro version which hasn't been released yet - outside of a limited beta maybe. I also belive that it only supports the Colorchecker Passport Video, not the other variations of the card.

----

(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for the stupid mistakes and bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Sep 13, 2016 at 3:10:23 pm

The feature is there in the non-pro version, but it doesn't work. They seem to be going through a buggy phase. I can't even register a new workstation. Hopefully once the pro version is released they'll get everything cleared up.

I think what separates the Pro version is ACES color management. My understanding is that they both will have X-Rite capabilities.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]