FORUMS: list search recent posts

Finding the couple of files not on the project drive.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
Finding the couple of files not on the project drive.
on Sep 3, 2016 at 11:42:43 pm

I have media for a project that lives on an external hard drive.

I manage my own media. I don't keep it in the library, and I don't keep it in a media folder that FCPX manages.

Invariably, I end up dragging a few clips from my boot drive into a project without copying them to the external hard drive first.

Now I have a project that has 151gb on the external hard drive, and a few megabytes on my boot drive.

Isn't there some simple way to identify the media that's not on the external, so I can copy it and relink? It's just a few files, but I don't know which ones?

There should be a way to create a smart folder that can be sorted by where the media lives, but there isn't.

I don't want to consolidate everything to the library, or to a new media folder. I don't like the way FCPX organizes everything into a folder based on when it was created.

Thx.

-Mark

---------

Mark Morache
Evening Magazine, Seattle, WA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Finding the couple of files not on the project drive.
on Sep 4, 2016 at 3:29:19 pm

Quit fcpx, eject your external drive, relaunch fcpx and see what's left online.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Sep 4, 2016 at 3:54:39 pm

Ah... I knew I couldn't eject my boot drive, but I didn't think of looking for the remaining media. Good thinking.

Seems like in a big pool of metadata, there ought to be a way to search for a media drive, or even to show me only offline or online clips.

Maybe the next upgrade.

Thanks.

-Mark

---------

Mark Morache
Evening Magazine, Seattle, WA

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Sep 5, 2016 at 8:44:08 am

Mark,

Try to create a XML from the project and one from the the library
For each the assets are listed at the beginning of the files. This way you can figure out the files needed easily with TextWrangler or BBedit.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 6, 2016 at 3:57:15 pm

[Mark Morache] "Seems like in a big pool of metadata, there ought to be a way to search for a media drive, or even to show me only offline or online clips.
"

You can type "missing" in the Browser search bar to show offline clips.

If you click on a file, it will show you the drive it's on by going to the "info" tab in the inspector and scrolling all the way down. This doesn't really help you though as you'd have to do it a library level, and it would say that there's files on your boot drive, but it wouldn't tell you which ones.

You could select narrower groups, and see if your boot drive shows up in the info window. If ti doesn't, then you know al of those clips are on the external. If it does, then you know one or more of those clips you selected are on your boot drive.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Sep 5, 2016 at 5:00:34 pm

Arctic whiteness- Library manager app. Among other things this app will tell you where the hell everything associated with a library actually is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]