FORUMS: list search recent posts

adobe premiere user switching to FCPX - advice on features / where is?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paul
adobe premiere user switching to FCPX - advice on features / where is?
on Sep 2, 2016 at 8:13:27 am

So I am an Adobe Premiere editor and I have switched to FCPX/a job requires me to use this software I have no clue about. I am an Avid and Premiere Pro editor (and I have used FCP 7 back in the day).
So where are common premiere features / do things exist like:
-Rate stretch? I use it all the time
How do I move the content of a clip thats in the time line - I want the clip lenght and position to remain where it is in the time line- I just want to start a bit earlier and thus end earlier.

Any other advice / things I should need / great features and tools and options and SHORTCUTS that might make my live easier? Where exactly is match frame?

Thanks a lot for this

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: adobe premiere user switching to FCPX - advice on features / where is?
on Sep 2, 2016 at 9:15:34 am

A quick Google search should get find you dozens of tutorials on FCPX basics. Ripple Training have some nice practical ones.

Whichever tutorials you look at, I can't recommend doing some basic training strongly enough. FCPX is different from any of the NLEs you've mentioned having experience with, and just jumping in without a good understanding of the workflow, or how to take advantage of things like the magnetic timeline is a sure-fire path much hair-pulling and swearing at the screen.

-----

(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for the stupid mistakes and bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 2, 2016 at 2:40:43 pm

I can't recommend Ripple Training strongly enough.

FCPX does involve a rethink on how to organize and execute some functions and, once you grasp that, you'll understand why many experienced FCPX editors feel that it's "fast."

If you want to dive and just to get a basic grasp of things IzzyVideo has a very good free tutorial series. It's not deep though but it'll give enough a brain tease to grasp the Ripple Training stuff faster.
http://training.izzyvideo.com/courses/final-cut-pro-x-tutorial

Denver Riddle of Color Grading Central also has a very good free FCPX series to help you get a grasp of the color board.
See the free FCPX Tutorial on this page
http://www.colorgradingcentral.com/tutorials/

If you're not going to go to Resolve at some point you may want to consider his Color Finale plugin for more traditional color wheels and curves. There are free tutorials for that as well if you eventually go that route.

After the above two freebees dive into Ripple Training either FCPX Core Training or just get the FCPX Essential which adds lots of additional specific function tutorials.
http://www.rippletraining.com/categories/final-cut-pro/

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Sep 2, 2016 at 2:45:48 pm

Thanks a lot for all of this. I've already got an idea about FCPX and I have looked at a bunch of tutorials. It's just those two things that I have described that I am looking at / haven't found yet / no tutorial covered those so probably IT DOESNT exist at all:
1) Where is rate stretch for clips?
2) How do I move the content of a clip around while the clip remains its length and position?

Once again thanks for the links.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 2, 2016 at 4:06:49 pm

You mean retiming? Cmd R. Then drag the little bar above the clip, of click the little triangle to get more options. There's also a dedicated retiming menu over to the right of the timeline. You can blade the timing bar, roll the timing edit, use easing handles to ramp speed, etc. it's all there.

2- You mean slipping? Use the trim tool. T. And click in the middle of a clip and drag back and forth. Same as FCP 7 but with T instead of R. One caveat- in X connected clips will move as well because they're connected at a specific point. Hold down tilde while you slip to override the connection.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 2, 2016 at 4:15:56 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Sep 2, 2016 at 4:17:24 pm

[Michael Paul] "1) Where is rate stretch for clips?"
Retiming tool. I actually use this a lot when I have to import live stream recordings which have variable frame rates. I stretch the video to match the audio. Once you add the tool you can stretch the video.

Select Clip, Shift N, grab the green bar above it and stretch

[Michael Paul] "2) How do I move the content of a clip around while the clip remains its length and position?"
Trim Tool, Place it on the clip and it moves the content but keeps length and position. You'd also get a two up (not shown here) to see the in and out frame.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Sep 2, 2016 at 9:54:28 pm

The two questions were why I suggested checking out some more in-depth basic training. How to use the trim tool is definitely a part of all the basic training packages I've come across and most cover using the retiming tool. it just suggested to me that you needed to go a little deeper into the basics.

Anyway, keep asking and we'll help you get there, but in light ornate basics you've already missed, I'll repeat my earlier warning: unless this is a really small, simple project FCPX success is all about workflow and metadata and knowing how to get to where you're going before you start. As you're learning don't skip that stuff because it seems boring or irrelevant as I can almost guarantee it'll come back to bite you later.

So endeth the sermon :-)

------

(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for the stupid mistakes and bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Kirk Pitts
on Sep 3, 2016 at 12:09:12 pm
Last Edited By Kirk Pitts on Sep 3, 2016 at 12:17:09 pm

I am just lurking here on this thread but I finally decided to take a look at Ripple Training. I have some other training material including one of Izzy's. All good but Ripple trainings like "Warp speed for Motion" which I bought is great. Straight to the point and how to do what you need to do. Thanks for the extra kick to get me there!
Kirk Pitts.
video amateur.
Personal skateboard and band historian. ;)

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Sep 5, 2016 at 12:51:48 pm

[Michael Paul] "I am an Adobe Premiere editor and I have switched to FCPX/a job requires me to use this software I have no clue about."

I also came to FCPX from Premiere and it was a difficult transition for me. FCPX is a fresh re-think about how an editor works and trying to use it like a conventional track-oriented editor will lead to frustration.

FCPX embodies several concepts which ideally should be accepted and used. These include (but aren't limited to):

- Storage management
- Media management database
- Super-fast skimmer
- Initial workflow focused on the Event Browser, not on the timeline
- Magnetic timeline
- Storyline concept of embedded or collapsed content rather than stacked up timelines

A major problem is people have different styles of learning. Some just say "tell me what button to press". There is lots of good FCPX tutorial info about this. But just as *design* of FCPX required a profound re-think, the optimal *use* of FCPX requires a re-think of workflow and UI concepts. There is unfortunately limited quality information which addresses the underlying reason for the changes. Without this information it is easy for transitioning editors to get confused, try to jam FCPX into a track-oriented mold, or just give up.

For many people the optimal learning style is first understanding why -- the philosophical and conceptual framework underpinning the new knowledge. The best quality tutorial content begins with a conceptual and philosophical outline of the new material to be learned. Not a summary -- but the thinking and reasoning that led to the new thing.

When Apple popularized the then-novel GUI, there was lots background info about how this evolved and why it was needed. Unfortunately there is a deficiency of formal content on this for FCPX. This lack results in editors from track-oriented systems complaining about or struggling with FCPX concepts.

Because of this deficiency in background explanatory content, people learning FCPX are often simply told "you have to approach it differently" but without any structured authoritative basis for this. In turn volunteer helpers on discusion forums must repeatedly try to explain this ad-hoc, based on their best guess.

Information on the reasoning and philosophy leading to FCPX is largely heresay, supposition, paraphrases of something that was said at some symposium, even 3rd hand stories about Premiere/FCP7/FCPX designer Randy Ubillios struggling to edit his vacation video and finally realizing something new was needed.

If someone would write a book or even a white paper on this, then transitioning editors could be pointed to that. It would reduce a lot of the confusion and irritation when confronted with the new paradigm of FCPX. It would help defuse the impression that FCPX is different for the sake of being different. It would help motivate transitioning editors to invest the time in deeply learning the new underlying philosophy with FCPX, rather than the fastest minimal route of what button to press for the immediate task at hand.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 5, 2016 at 3:53:15 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Sep 5, 2016 at 3:53:34 pm

[Joe Marler] "But just as *design* of FCPX required a profound re-think, the optimal *use* of FCPX requires a re-think of workflow and UI concepts. There is unfortunately limited quality information which addresses the underlying reason for the changes. Without this information it is easy for transitioning editors to get confused, try to jam FCPX into a track-oriented mold, or just give up."

Maybe it could be better but it is from Apple
Final_Cut_Pro_X_for_Final_Cut_Pro_7_Editors

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]