FORUMS: list search recent posts

linking effect parameters between clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juan Lesta
linking effect parameters between clips
on Aug 25, 2016 at 8:48:22 am

Hi!
I'm looking for a way to link the parameters of an effect to other clips.
For example, a way to apply colour correction to a clip, and to link this effect parameters to more clips in a way that if I change the effect parameters of a "master clip" all the linked ones are affected with this changes.
I need this if for example, I am colour grading a lot of clips from an unique take, and I don't want to be changing one by one.

Any idea?
Thanks a lot
Juan

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: linking effect parameters between clips
on Aug 25, 2016 at 10:27:13 am

You could possibly apply the correction in the clip browser rather than the timeline and the correction would flow though to all the instances of that clip on the timeline but it's not something you can do in the timeline - and in all honesty, it sounds like Exactly the right reason to do your grade in something like Resolve.

Alternatively, do your grade on one clip, select the other instances of the clip in the timeline index, and delete the previous grade and then paste the changes.

------

(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for the stupid mistakes and bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Aug 25, 2016 at 3:14:58 pm

Or you can create an adjustment layer (via an empty text project from Motion) and place that on top and add the effect from there.

When staying in X, I usually do a base pass with my first correction then tweak or add a correction as needed on a per clip basis.

sw

[Jeff Kirkland] "You could possibly apply the correction in the clip browser rather than the timeline"

I didn't know you can do this in X. How?

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 25, 2016 at 4:52:37 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "I didn't know you can do this in X. How?"
Right-click on the clip in the browser and select Open in Timeline, add any FX you want and then close that timeline. The clip in the browser will show the change and anytime forward when you drop that clip into your storyline it will also have that correction applied.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 25, 2016 at 10:36:39 pm

But you can't go back and change them as a whole once they're in the timeline, so it doesn't really accomplish the goal either.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Aug 26, 2016 at 2:57:03 pm

[John Rofrano] "Right-click on the clip in the browser and select Open in Timeline, add any FX you want and then close that timeline. The clip in the browser will show the change and anytime forward when you drop that clip into your storyline it will also have that correction applied"

Ya learn something new every day. Thanks John!

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Aug 26, 2016 at 9:11:52 pm

For what it's worth, my colour workflow in FCPX is pretty much the same as it would be in Resolve. I colour correct the individual clips in a scene to match, then use an adjustment layer to apply a look across all the corrected clips.

------

(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for the stupid mistakes and bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 27, 2016 at 1:00:28 pm

Your welcome. The only caveat is that it's not "live" as Bret pointed out. If you go back and change a setting it is not reflected in the clips that are already on the Storyline. It only affects future clips created from that media. Just something to watch out for.

~jr

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Aug 28, 2016 at 1:02:39 pm

[John Rofrano] "It only affects future clips created from that media"

Which for me is totally fine. In fact, desired. I will use the "source side" color correction to get a basic grade and then tweak each shot in the timeline as needed for final grade (admittedly easier for me doing 30 second spots to 5 minute pieces rather long form). It's what I do now using copy and paste.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Juan Lesta
on Aug 31, 2016 at 6:29:06 pm

Thank you very much guys!!

I know FCPX is not a good tool for colour grading, but if the Apple engineers decided to add this feature, FCPX will grow. With something like this colour grade will be an option in FCPX. Yes I know, Davinci or others always be better option, but sometimes we only need a basic colour grade.

AFX have this option via expressions, and is really useful.

All the best
Juan

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Aug 31, 2016 at 8:08:25 pm

Apparently Color Finale Pro, which is supposed to be released soon, will have a global adjustment feature.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 2, 2016 at 5:50:16 pm

[Juan Lesta] "I know FCPX is not a good tool for colour grading,"

I respectfully disagree. Between the built-in CC and tools like Color Finale, you can do a whole helluva lot. If you are still needing, the round trip to Resolve is pretty good.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 2, 2016 at 6:09:02 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "I respectfully disagree. Between the built-in CC and tools like Color Finale, you can do a whole helluva lot."
+1

Color Finale ROCKS! If you don't have it... get it. You may never have to leave FCP X to color grade again.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]