FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut X - Optical Flow with 59.94p

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Peters
Final Cut X - Optical Flow with 59.94p
on Aug 24, 2016 at 6:22:24 pm

I am editing footage that was filmed in multiple frame rates, 30p, 60p and 120p. I have set up my timeline for 30p. Usually I don't film in 60p so this is a new issue for me. I am slowing down some clips and using optical flow to get a nice smooth look. The 30p and 120p are looking perfect, but the 60p clips are jittery! I have tried creating a new timeline and set it to 60p to see if that made any difference, which it didn't.
Has anyone had this trouble before? i don't really want to have to convert all my 60p clips to 30p if I can avoid it.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Final Cut X - Optical Flow with 59.94p
on Aug 25, 2016 at 2:05:25 am

Use the "Automatic Speed" function which will change the speed of the clip to 50% slow. This doesn't need optical flow because you are playing 60fps back at 30fps or half the speed.

Return to posts index

James Peters
on Aug 25, 2016 at 5:10:43 am

After searching long and hard I managed to find out why the 60p footage was not working on optical flow. I had set the shutter speed at 30fps when filming at 60p. Stupid error but at least I found out what the problem was.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 26, 2016 at 12:52:42 pm

Jeremy is right. You wouldn't use optical flow. You use optical flow to create frames where there are none. You have have twice as many frames as you need for 30p playback, so simply play it back at half speed and bingo, perfect slow mo.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]