FORUMS: list search recent posts

ALL my project audio goes silent after I make an edit on the timeline...even though there is sound on timeline- it plays back as if it's muted (which it's not)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
suree cruz
ALL my project audio goes silent after I make an edit on the timeline...even though there is sound on timeline- it plays back as if it's muted (which it's not)
on Aug 22, 2016 at 5:45:54 pm

I'm working on FCP X version 10.2.3 on a IMAC using El Capitan 10.11.6, with 3.2 GHz Intel Core and 32 GB memory. My files are on a G Drive.

This problem started a few days ago and I can't explain why it's happening, I've never had it happen before and I've been using this edit system since March.

My timeline plays back with no problems, unless I make an edit into the timeline (IE: shifting a clip slightly or adding a fade, cutting out a portion, etc.). Once I do an action, the audio stops playing back (all the music, dialogue tracks, everything). Nothing is soloed and I've tried soloing and muting files to see if that fixes the problem. The audio meter doesn't move. Also, when I go into the clip window, the audio plays fine on each clip I select that is in the timeline.
I've tried rebooting, restarting, creating new projects, copying all the media into a new project, moving the FCP Library to another drive, moving it to my internal hard drive, seemingly everything, but nothing has helped. I've even moved the project to another computer with FCPX and the problem continues.

If I wait long enough, or some magic elf comes by, the audio comes back. There's no rhyme or reason to it. But then it happens again, as soon as I make a tiny edit.

Has anyone had or heard of this problem? I'm in the final edit phase and about to master (once I can finish the small fine cuts), so any suggestions are appreciated.

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: ALL my project audio goes silent after I make an edit on the timeline...even though there is sound on timeline- it plays back as if it's muted (which it's not)
on Aug 23, 2016 at 12:51:11 am

Are you using an external audio device? If so…

If you can’t monitor mono or dual mono audio from Final Cut Pro X
https://support.apple.com/HT204780

Return to posts index

suree cruz
Re: ALL my project audio goes silent after I make an edit on the timeline...even though there is sound on timeline- it plays back as if it's muted (which it's not)
on Aug 23, 2016 at 4:25:06 pm

Hi James, Thanks for your reply. I'm not using an external audio device. After trying seemingly everything, I found a post from the archives with Ken Stone, where he suggested deleting the FCP libraries and restarting. That didn't help at first. The project still was playing back without the sound. So I created a new project file and copied all the clips onto that timeline. So far, fingers crossed, that did the trick. Hope this problem doesn't happen again!

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Aug 25, 2016 at 9:51:43 am

Can this be a sampling issue?

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]