FORUMS: list search recent posts

relinking 1080p proxies to 4k footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gene Rosati Jr.
relinking 1080p proxies to 4k footage
on Aug 15, 2016 at 4:25:30 pm

Working on a short film. Footage was shot on a sony F55 creating 4k xavc files and 1080p xavc(?) proxy files. The edit is in FCP X. Director/editor wants to edits with 4k proxies. I mistakenly imported the 1080p proxies due to FCP X only being able to read those files. I continued syncing and organizing the project. It's all squared away but I'm being told it the project has to be edited with 4K proxies for reframing.

I somewhat saw this coming but more for the online stage. I ran a few tests and rewrapped a 4k clip to the correct codec to online a clip or two from 1080p to the 4k media. Unfortunately when I go to relink the clip, FCPX will not allow me to do so due to a different amount of audio channels. The 4k originals have only 4 audio channels and the proxies have 8 audio channels. I do not know FCPX well enough to come up with a work around.

Is there away that I can create 4k proxies and relink it to the footage in the library without having to start from scratch? The director insists that I use EditReady to create the 4k proxies. Could I somehow add 4 more audio channels via EditReady? This would save me a huge amount of time and head ache.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: relinking 1080p proxies to 4k footage
on Aug 16, 2016 at 3:30:39 am

4K XAVC is a relatively lightweight codec. There's no reason to edit 1080 variants made from them, unless you are editing from the dailies or some other transcode that is beyond your control. If this is the case, you might want to use Resolve to relink the 1080 files to the 4k files and send them back to fcpx. Resolve is pretty good but does weird things sometimes, and only works on what amounts to a sequence level and not a Library or traditional project level.

So you could relink the most current sequences to get the edit back, and then import the 4K XAVC original files and use those to continue the edit. Not sure how edit ready will help you here.

Return to posts index

Gene Rosati Jr.
on Aug 16, 2016 at 4:45:10 am

For whatever reason FCP X cannot read the 4K files. It would only let me import the 1080 camera proxies. The editor has the same experience I guess which is why he recommended EditReady. I'm just the AE so no editing yet for the film. Just syncing, grouping and organizing.

I found a temporary solution. Take the original 4k media and transcode it to Prores proxy, which is what the editor wants. I then bring that file into FCP X, bring it into my synchronized clip and manually replace the 1080p file with the 4k file. Not as easy as I would hope but better than nothing.

I tried relinking via Resolve by putting a synchronized clip on the timeline(?). It pointed to the correct file so I exported a Resolve xml, brought that into FCPX and it didn't seem to work. The synchronized clip from the xml pointed back to the 1080 proxy. Am I doing something wrong? I'm not all that familiar with Resolve as well.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Aug 16, 2016 at 3:39:10 am

[Gene Rosati Jr.] "It's all squared away but I'm being told it the project has to be edited with 4K proxies for reframing. "

Curious, why not use the FCP X proxy workflow? All the reframing is 1:1 between the 1/4 res proxies and the cam originals so nothing has to be redone later.

What I do is work in proxy mode on Red footage, if reframing needs to happen I flip back to original, zoom in to the desired framing then once we know that's going to look acceptable I flip back to proxy.

The F55 footage should work in FCP X, it just has to be imported a specific way.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 16, 2016 at 3:48:43 am

[Darren Roark] "The F55 footage should work in FCP X, it just has to be imported a specific way.
"

Drag and drop

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Aug 16, 2016 at 6:26:21 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Drag and drop"

If you want it rewrapped, it's the import window.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 16, 2016 at 11:32:49 am

I work with 4K XAVC all the time and drag and drop instead of rewrap. You can always optimize it if you want to rewrap, but I'd rather save the drive space, especially when there's multi Terrabytes of footage.

If fcpx isn't importing the footage are you sure this is XAVC footage instead of 4K Sony raw?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Aug 16, 2016 at 5:07:33 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "If fcpx isn't importing the footage are you sure this is XAVC footage instead of 4K Sony raw?"

That was what I was thinking after I hit post. It's probably the case.

Return to posts index

Gene Rosati Jr.
on Aug 16, 2016 at 5:11:49 pm

After I read your post I did a little digging and you're right. It's Sony RAW. I'm running the raw footage through Media Encoder and spitting out ProRes 422 Proxy but I still run into the audio channels preventing me for just doing a simple relink.

I found a work around and import the footage and then just replace the 1080 with the 4k for my synchronized clips.

It's not the easiest solution but so far it's working. Thanks for the help Jeremy and Darren!

Return to posts index

Gene Rosati Jr.
on Aug 16, 2016 at 4:46:56 am

I tried to import the media that way but FCP X couldn't import the 4K media let alone recognize it. Check my reply to Jeremy and you'll see where I'm currently at.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 16, 2016 at 1:39:33 pm

[Gene Rosati Jr.] "I tried to import the media that way but FCP X couldn't import the 4K media let alone recognize it."

What version of FCPX are you using?

Return to posts index

Gene Rosati Jr.
on Aug 16, 2016 at 6:46:31 pm

I'm using 10.2 but I believe the problem is that the 4k files are sony raw.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 18, 2016 at 2:05:25 pm

[Gene Rosati Jr.] "I believe the problem is that the 4k files are sony raw."

Yeah, that would not surprise me that FCPX doesn't relink. I am working on a project now with 4K raw files from an F5 and the relinking to the raw will take place during a Resolve conform and not within FCPX.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]