FORUMS: list search recent posts

clip names documentary

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisha Rigney
clip names documentary
on Aug 13, 2016 at 12:48:54 am

Hello to all,

I'm about to start editing a talking heads documentary using FCPX -- first project using X. The footage was shot on cards and all the clips have the assigned camera names (MVI_1156, MVI_1157, MVI_1158, etc.,...).

I'd like to have a reference in my timeline as to what is being said in each clip. How do I go about doing this? With previous documentary projects I've created sub-clips so when I edit a clip into the timeline the description of the clip shows in the timeline. How do I accomplish this with X?

Lisha
OS 10.11.5
FCP X 10.2.3
Mac Pro

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: clip names documentary
on Aug 13, 2016 at 1:36:34 am

One fairly straightforward solution would be

http://www.koptostudios.com/shot-notes-x/

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 16, 2016 at 4:46:09 am

Closest approximation is to make Favorite or Keyword ranges, (virtual subclips) and put a marker on the range with the text you want to carry over to the timeline. After you cut them in, you can view and quickly jump to -and search for- the markers using the tags view in the Timeline Index.

If you make Favorite ranges, you can quickly rename them by hitting TAB-ENTER right after you create the Favorites well.

Both marker text and Favorite range names are searchable in the Browser.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

beate suk
on Sep 7, 2016 at 4:58:05 pm

Hi Lisha,
I've got almost the same problem .. I'm quite new to editing with fcpX but the best solution seems to be to either select ranges in your clips (not in the timeline - sort of making "subclips") and add one ore more keywords to that portion of the clip. when you view the keyword folder then, your clip will still have the name of the original clip it came from but once you edited it onto the timeline, you can rename it there.

maybe read up on keywords and smart collections for fcpX - there's a lot on the web.
sp - once your clip is in the timeline, just rename it (rightclick) and it then will be searchable in the timeline inspector (so you can jump exactly to that part of the edit).

There are many good fcpx tutorials out there - I watched tutorials on lynda.com and am about to do the rippletraining.com tutorials aswell - which are very good as easier to understand and not so complicated like lynda (both are not for free though).
I am also not sure, how I will organize the numerous interview clips I shot for my documentary but that's as far as I've come to go about it.
Hope I could be of a little help - wishing you all the best of luck with your talking heads documentary - sounds really cool!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]