FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX 10.1.3 imported clips but they don't show up in library window

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gilbert Daspit
FCPX 10.1.3 imported clips but they don't show up in library window
on Aug 12, 2016 at 9:10:34 pm

This problem seems to be esoteric enough that I can't find it after searching about 20 minutes on the web.
I imported some clips from an HDV tape just as I'd done a few minutes previously. I'm new to using FCPX so by default my clips are listed by under the shooting date in the clip metadata. Only in this case, the date the clips were shot (Aug. 11, 2016) wasn't listed. Meanwhile, the date for clips shot today was listed and the clips were available in the library (or job or project, Apple probably went a little far in their total re-naming of things).
Anyway, after a few minutes of searching the library window and different keyword collections, I realized the clips aren't included in the library for this job.
Here's where things get strange. I decided to open the library "package" for the job (which is located on an external hard drive -- that shouldn't matter because all my other clips are totally accessible). Lo and behold in the package were the 20 or so clips I'd imported. This is where FCPX terminology gets confusing -- the clips are in the "library" on the hard drive, but not in the "library" in the FCP program interface.
Like I said, I couldn't find any description of my problem but information that seemed close talked about re-linking footage; only in my case there's nothing to re-link. Nor do any other FCPX menu commands seem appropriate for this issue.
I've thought of my own solution -- I'm copying the clips to a thumbdrive and then I'll open the FCPX import window and re-import the clips. I think that could work but if it does, it will be messy because then I'll have duplicates of this set of clips in the library package on my hard drive. I'm a little afraid to delete the "captured but unlisted by FCPX" clips because I'm not sure if at some level FCPX knows they're there and deleting them will screw up my job (I wanted to say "project" but I can't).
Should I proceed with my solution? Has anyone run into this problem?

Thanks, Gil

P.S.: To check things out, I imported a short clip from the same tape (a large HDV tape) where my clips didn't show up in FCPX. This sample clip imported fine, so I don't think the tape is the problem. The only possible issue I can think of is that before I imported the clips, while FCPX was "hidden" but not closed, I disconnected the firewire connection to my HDV deck. I plugged it back in before I "un-hid" FCPX, though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]