FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timeline vs. viewer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Carter
Timeline vs. viewer
on Aug 9, 2016 at 6:41:48 pm

Been cutting in FCPX for a while now - there's on particular FCP legacy thing I can't suss out on X.

In FCP7, I can have a track full of trimmed video clips arranged in an edit; if I double-click any of those clips, the viewer window displays the selected clip, showing the in and out points. The trimmed area on the timeline is highlighted int he scrubber, and any trimmed-out portions are gray in the scrubber. I can manipulate the playhead and see the timecode for the area that is trimmed into the edit on the main timeline. If the same clip is used in multiple places in the edit, each instance can be clicked and I can see what section has been used and view the timecode for the section in use.

This is really handy for many reasons, but particularly if I want to do some work in AE. Imagine a two-minute take where only 5 seconds appear in the edit. I can open the clip in AE and only work on and render the section used in the edit, vs. working and rendering the entire take.

Is there an analog for this in FCPX? Double-clicking a clip doesn't seem to do a thing. I can see in and out points in the library, but only trims made in the library, far as I can tell.

As an aside - is there a slick way to only export trims of individual clips from FCPX to round-trip them?

(One of about a dozen questions I have...)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Timeline vs. viewer
on Aug 9, 2016 at 7:24:38 pm

[Michael Carter] "Is there an analog for this in FCPX? Double-clicking a clip doesn't seem to do a thing. I can see in and out points in the library, but only trims made in the library, far as I can tell."

Shift-f is reveal in Browser, which will mark the clip in and out from the timeline.

[Michael Carter] "As an aside - is there a slick way to only export trims of individual clips from FCPX to round-trip them?"

Select them and export them?

Or if you need to get a timeline to After Effects, export an fcpxml, use XtoCC (cheap from the AppStore) and translate to XML, and use File > Pro Import After Effects to import the FCPX timeline (which will have all of your clips in the sequence).

You can also take a look at Clip Exporter (http://www.clipexporter.com) that has similar functionality, but makes new trimmed media.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Aug 11, 2016 at 1:56:48 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Shift-f is reveal in Browser, which will mark the clip in and out from the timeline."

Does anyone else find this Reveal in Browser doesn't work well. For me the first time I select Reveal in Browser it doesn't actually show me the clip I'm looking for. It will open the correct event, but not the actual clip. It takes two times for it to work. Then it's not exactly easy to find. Sometimes it's at the top, sometimes it's at the bottom. It's not in a consistent position in the browser. For these reasons I switch to list view when doing "Reveal in Browser" which always works perfectly.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 11, 2016 at 3:45:57 pm

[Brett Sherman] "Does anyone else find this Reveal in Browser doesn't work well. "

Yeah, it's weird. I usually have the Event Viewer open which then if you hit play, the Browser then "scrolls" to the correct clip.

Even without the Event Viewer open, if you hit play after shift-f, the Browser catches up.

It's definitely kinda flaky, but it does work.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 9, 2016 at 7:29:48 pm

[Michael Carter] "In FCP7, I can have a track full of trimmed video clips arranged in an edit; if I double-click any of those clips, the viewer window displays the selected clip, showing the in and out points."

FCPX doesn't work that way. FCP7 and Premiere Pro, too, have mini-timelines for each viewer. In FCPX the viewer simply displays what's under the playhead at any given moment - either a library clip or the timeline clip.

[Michael Carter] "This is really handy for many reasons, but particularly if I want to do some work in AE. "

If you want to go to AE, I'd suggest Automatic Duck:

http://www.redgiant.com/products/automatic-duck-ximport-ae/

[Michael Carter] "As an aside - is there a slick way to only export trims of individual clips from FCPX to round-trip them?"

http://www.clipexporter.com

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Carter
on Aug 9, 2016 at 7:49:49 pm

Thanks guys, I'll give these a try. For my usual B2B work X has been fine... but I do occasional music videos and "big corporate event cover band" promos with 20+ takes and frantic cutting... and that non-track timeline is a nightmare of stuff leaping up and down every time you blade a cut. I should probably just learn Premiere for those kinds of gigs.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 9, 2016 at 7:51:52 pm

Learning when to use secondary storylines takes a while to understand and anticipate.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 9, 2016 at 8:37:51 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Learning when to use secondary storylines takes a while to understand and anticipate."
+1
[Michael Carter] "...and that non-track timeline is a nightmare of stuff leaping up and down every time you blade a cut. "
Actually if you use a secondary storyline as Jeremy suggests, you can blade a cut all you want and it doesn't jump at all. It stays in it's storyline. It's almost like having mini-tracks.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 10, 2016 at 6:07:08 am

It's a track that you can also move as a unit up, down, sideways.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 10, 2016 at 11:51:53 am

For sub-sequence style workflows I get lazy and just Compound Clip the lot.

Return to posts index

Michael Carter
on Aug 10, 2016 at 3:04:56 pm

I've tried compound clips, but I can't maintain synch with those - cut a clip and everything slides sideways, and all those blank clips to deal with. Or does turning magnetic off solve that issue?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 11, 2016 at 1:42:10 pm

[Michael Carter] "I've tried compound clips, but I can't maintain synch with those - cut a clip and everything slides sideways, and all those blank clips to deal with. Or does turning magnetic off solve that issue?"
What solves the issue is just using connected clips because they stay connected to the main storyline. If you cut a clip in a series of connected clips just that clip gets deleted and everything else stays in it's place.

Do you object to using connected clips? Is that the problem? Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by "...and that non-track timeline is a nightmare of stuff leaping up and down every time you blade a cut. " Are you blading connected clips? Why are things jumping? Perhaps two screen shots would help (a before and after).

I actually prefer FCP X because everything stays connected as I edit. You seem to be having the opposite experience.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 10, 2016 at 4:29:03 pm

[Oliver Peters] "FCPX doesn't work that way. FCP7 and Premiere Pro, too, have mini-timelines for each viewer. In FCPX the viewer simply displays what's under the playhead at any given moment - either a library clip or the timeline clip.
"

If you have your event viewer open and your event is in list view, then the "mini timeline" is just at the top of the event after you press shift+f. Sure would be nice if they could just put a scrubber and in/out visual under the event viewer. Ditto for the viewer.

Return to posts index

Michael Carter
on Aug 10, 2016 at 5:00:12 pm

And the damn in and out timecode!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]