FORUMS: list search recent posts

After marking in/out/favorite is there a shortcut for replacing "Favorite" with other text?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilde
After marking in/out/favorite is there a shortcut for replacing "Favorite" with other text?
on Jul 19, 2016 at 1:59:39 am

JKL for choosing a scene I want to mark as a Favorite.

I and O for marking in and out points.

F to mark the Selection Range as a Favorite.

And then... I must grab the mouse and carefully click twice on "Favorite" -- at just the right speed -- for the selection to become an editable text box.

Dang. I'd really like to keep my hands on the keyboard.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: After marking in/out/favorite is there a shortcut for replacing "Favorite" with other text?
on Jul 19, 2016 at 2:31:43 am

It's possible to keyword only and not favorite- that would save a step.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: After marking in/out/favorite is there a shortcut for replacing "Favorite" with other text?
on Jul 19, 2016 at 2:47:41 am

You can press F to mark the Favourite, then press Tab, then Enter, then type your text. It occasionally doesn't work because the new favourite isn't highlighted in the list , especially if you're not marking favourites sequentially, but it's better than having to grab the mouse every time.

------

(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for the stupid mistakes and bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Tim Wilde
on Jul 19, 2016 at 4:20:25 am

Thank you, Jeff! I thought I had tried the tab key and got a different result, but it sure does do what you said. Wonderful!

Return to posts index

Mauricio Lleras
on Jul 20, 2016 at 8:46:58 pm

This.
Plus when you finish typing press enter to confirm the name and then hit Shift + Tab
to return to the clip and continue logging.
When you're done with your last favorite Shift Tab to return to the clip then down arrow
to go to the next one.
Btw, all of this can be done without even stopping playback
if you can/want to go fast like that!

Return to posts index

Mauricio Lleras
on Jul 20, 2016 at 8:50:05 pm

[Mauricio Lleras] "when you finish typing press enter to confirm the name"
Or alternately Shift Tab one time to confirm the name and then Shift Tab again to go back to the clip,
I'm not in front of the machine so I can't recall precisely, maybe both work

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Jul 19, 2016 at 1:24:13 pm

After you favorite, hit tab to select the clip in the list, right arrow to show the favorite, down arrow to select the favorite and then enter to open text entry.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Jul 19, 2016 at 10:54:08 pm

I mark the in and out and use the appropriate keyword. Then make a smart collection with the keywords and at that point I have all of the shots I might use with keywords. No need to use favorites, when you can use keywords and smart collections. This method was posted by a Cow contributor sometime back and really works for me.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Jul 20, 2016 at 12:33:08 pm

Good tip

Return to posts index

Tim Wilde
on Jul 21, 2016 at 2:21:30 am

Thank you for suggesting an alternative, Claude. When I shoot a wedding, for example, recording is pretty much continuous. So a single imported FCPX clip (what I refer to as a "master clip") will contain many segments I want to use in editing. Naming a master clip seems useless to me, thus my use of the Favorites feature to demarcate and annotate each segment within the master clip.

Unless I misunderstand, keywords are just that: a word or two; and only ten keywords are possible.

I'm tempted to explore breaking one of these master clips into individual clips, one for each segment. Then I could type my descriptive text in the clip name field and use keywords for their intended purpose.

Does anyone do this, and if so, what's the best way?

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 21, 2016 at 11:44:07 am

First off I like to rename camera clips so they actually have some meaning , master shot , drone coverage of .... etc so I am not looking at the character- number combos of origianl camera files. If I was cutting a feature , I would not do this but for other projects its fine. Then I can either Favorite and name the favorite something descriptive and add a note to the notes field or Keyword and add notes. From there smart collections can be built, you'll have keyword collections and when searching you can search the notes field for more granular results.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]