FORUMS: list search recent posts

When filtering for Favorites in Browser can you avoid needing to expand each clip to show the annotated faves?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilde
When filtering for Favorites in Browser can you avoid needing to expand each clip to show the annotated faves?
on Jul 18, 2016 at 2:30:59 pm

I've Favoritized a number of scenes in some clips and have set the browser view to show Favorites. What bugs me is that I must click the right-pointing arrow beside each clip to reveal the actual annotated scenes (the items with the green star), and the list is needlessly long because it includes the clip names.

Is there a way to list just the Favorites, and skip showing the clip names?

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: When filtering for Favorites in Browser can you avoid needing to expand each clip to show the annotated faves?
on Jul 18, 2016 at 4:31:20 pm

Nope. FCPX could use a complete overhaul in how it presents favorites/markers/etc.... The current implementation has tons of wasted space and clutter, as you've found. Wait until you start adding markers/keywords and use clips. All of that info will be displayed too when you twirl a clip down.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
Re: When filtering for Favorites in Browser can you avoid needing to expand each clip to show the annotated faves?
on Jul 18, 2016 at 8:34:06 pm

You can twirl them all at once using a keyboard shortcut.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilde
on Jul 18, 2016 at 10:26:13 pm

Yes? (Frank Miller style)

What's the shortcut, Brian?

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Jul 18, 2016 at 10:55:34 pm

Option+left or right arrow. You do have to have that clip selected. So this is how I would do it. Select the clip in list view, option+left or right arrow to collapse or expand, down or up arrow to select next clip. If you are in the film strip view you can hover where the marker is and if you have show skimmer info on you can see the annotations and keyword info.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilde
on Jul 19, 2016 at 1:45:29 am

Thanks, Brian. Your keyboard shortcut sure beats using the mouse to expand each clip to display Favorites.

I tried your suggestion to enable Show Skimmer Info (View menu) and it shows the clip name but not the annotation for the Favorite selection currently being skimmed over. Since the clip name is already visible in the browser (I had to click on it to display it) I don't grasp the benefit of Show Skimmer Info.

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Jul 19, 2016 at 4:57:30 am

Show skimmer info will show clip name, timecode and keywords. You are right it does not show the annotation you made for that favorite. I would choose to show all favorites (or show everything) and twirl down all those clips to see your annotations in the list view. It would be nice in the filmstrip view you could see the annotations and not just the green favorite line. You could also keyword those favorite sections with a keyword that matches your favorite annotation. That way when you skim over that section you can see annotation (keyword). Not a perfect solution but it is night and day difference from the other NLE. IMHO.

-Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]