FORUMS: list search recent posts

First day on FCPX editing question. Sorry in advance. Newbie Hat.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brianlaz
First day on FCPX editing question. Sorry in advance. Newbie Hat.
on Jul 14, 2016 at 4:38:24 am

I'm sorry, this seems silly, I can't figure it out.
Very first edit on FCPX.
I have a bunch of video clips sync'd to one long audio clip. There are gaps between the video clips, i want to delete them, and of course delete the corresponding portion of the audio clip so everything stays in sync. In 7 it would be in, out, shift delete. When I add the in and out, I don't see any way to make this affect the separate audio track. when I hit delete, the gap goes away but the audio track is unaffected.
I did look through the manual, did not the read the entire thing, so you can tell me RTFM if you want.
I've also read numerous (and entertaining) debates about "legacy" vs. X. I want to give it a try.
And uh....do i really have to select all audio clips in a timeline to mute them, rather than muting the "track," if tracks are still a thing here?

Thanks mucho

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: First day on FCPX editing question. Sorry in advance. Newbie Hat.
on Jul 14, 2016 at 7:38:23 am

Yep - I'd definitely tell you to read the manual or watch some FCPX basics training videos. It simply does not work the way other NLEs do, and while if you search hard enough you'll find advice on how to emulate legacy workflows, every one of them will slow you down and leave you wondering why anyone would bother using X.

Not sure if there's any X equivalent of what your trying to do. I'd normally blade all, at the start and end, then vertically select all the clips I want to delete. To me it seems like an awkward way of doing it. You'd be better off creating a synced clip, then marking favourites in the clip browser. Or creating a synced clip then highlighting and marking sections as rejected in the clip browser.

One of the biggest things to learn about FCPX is that it's metadata driven so the more you can do in the clip browser before moving to a project timeline the better.

Speaking of which, yes you do have to select all the audio clips and mute them because there are no tracks but if you've set up your metadata correctly and assigned roles as appropriate, the it's just a quick search in the timeline index to select the clips you want and turn them off.

(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for the stupid mistakes and bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

brianlaz
on Jul 14, 2016 at 3:51:53 pm

Thank you for your response Jeff!
I have watched a number of tutorials and looked at what seemed to be relevant sections of the manual, and I don't feel too bad now because it seems that only after watching every tutorial and reading the entire manual would I find that no, you cannot set an in and out point and delete in your timeline, and have it affect all "tracks" (is there another term in FCPX land for tracks? I have the original camera audio on one "blank", and my zoom audio on another "blank").
I can certainly empathize with frustration from legacy users because for both things I mentioned, the answers seem to be workarounds rather than another sensical way of achieving the operation.
IMHO, making specific, accurate decisions about your clips (especially in and out points) before you can see them in the edit seems truly bizarre, like telling a chef "put aside and measure out all the seasonings you will need for the night because you can't make those adjustments once you've started cooking." So many edits happen only after I (and/or a client) have seen the rough edit (tasted the stew).
I am a newbie and I will move forward with an open mind.
Thanks again.
PS I did not notice the bad English

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jul 14, 2016 at 5:25:08 pm

It's not so much that you have to make those decisions prior to edit, but more about preparing your media to make those decisions quickly in the timeline.

For example - you have camera audio and zoom sync audio... typically, I would create synchronized or multicam clips that contain all of the audio. I can then choose my preferred audio track in the browser and not have to think about it while roughing in my sequence with the skimmer.

It seems daunting, but I'll tell you, once I got the hang of it I couldn't imagine why I'd want to go back to tracks.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 14, 2016 at 5:36:36 pm

[brianlaz] "I don't feel too bad now because it seems that only after watching every tutorial and reading the entire manual would I find that no, you cannot set an in and out point and delete in your timeline, and have it affect all "tracks" (is there another term in FCPX land for tracks? I have the original camera audio on one "blank", and my zoom audio on another "blank").
I can certainly empathize with frustration from legacy users because for both things I mentioned, the answers seem to be workarounds rather than another sensical way of achieving the operation."

They're not workarounds. They are a fundamentally different way of approaching problems. The reason some Legacy folks have issues with X has to do with them approaching a situation the same as they would in 7 or Avid or the other track based NLEs.

Sure, if you're synching clips in the timeline instead of creating sync clips or multiclips, then yes, you need to use blade all to cut through all the clips at a given point in the timeline and select all before ripple deleting. Seems like a waste of time and a workaround. Except, that if you'd approached the problem at FCPX's strengths, you could have trimmed and synced video/audio clips in your browser and you'd be editing by now.

Conversely, if you are cutting a picture and you have overlapping audio that you don't want to delete when you lose a section, it becomes a one-click event in FCPX and a "workaround" in every other NLE. It's all a matter of perspective. FCPX is much different in how it handles certain functions and it's efficient if you use it to it's strengths, but it can be tedious if you don't. Same with every other NLE.

I would suggest taking some time and learning what FCPX can do, and then approach your edit again and see if things don't go a little better for you.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 14, 2016 at 6:51:16 pm

my thought is that, if you're asking about tracks, then you may have watched training but you haven't quite absorbed it. Or maybe you're jumping around from topic to topic rather than watching something that starts from core concepts and builds up from there.

So to answer the question, FCPX has a primary storyline where you do the bulk of your editing and to which you connect other clips or secondary storylines as b-roll, along with titles, etc.

Everybody is going to do a rough edit but the key to X is the preparation you do before you start adding clips to a timeline.

In this case I'm not sure what you are editing that you've ended up with the need to blade through multiple clips at once - or at least to have to do it a great number of times. Part of your initial workflow should have been grouping those clips in some way. Clips with seperate sync sound would become synchronised clips, or multicam clips, or even just compound clips if nothing else was more appropriate.

Then you can favourite the good bits and/or reject the bad bits before putting the footage on the timeline. At the same time you assign roles to video and audio so you can easily find or select those clips once the edit begins. You might also assign key words to specific parts of clips.

At that point, you're good to go and start editing.

I guess the main thing is that your initial edit should really be clips on the primary storyline, even if those individual clips are actually a stack of other clips grouped together in some way or another during your initial preparation in the Clip Browser.

The approach is slightly different if you're editing to an audio track for a music video or similar, and other people will probably have different approaches, but hopefully I've mentioned something that can point you in the right direction to get started in FCPX.

--------

(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for the stupid mistakes and bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

brianlaz
on Jul 14, 2016 at 7:56:12 pm

Thanks for your thoughtful responses.
I will not take any more of your time with my very early impressions, except to say that I agree, using sync'd replaced clips would have been better for this example, but I use the in and outpoint feature quite often in other situations. One example is editing a live music show. I edit to a song, then depending how it's looking, I might cut out a chunk, like a verse, so the music actually still flows. This is not something (from my perspective now) that can be prepared for, but like I said, I'm ready to be converted.
Anyway, there's a whole FCPX debates section for that kind of talk.

Thanks again,
Brian

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 15, 2016 at 2:11:03 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Jul 15, 2016 at 9:49:59 pm

[brianlaz] "One example is editing a live music show. I edit to a song, then depending how it's looking, I might cut out a chunk, like a verse, so the music actually still flows. This is not something (from my perspective now) that can be prepared for, but like I said, I'm ready to be converted."

Actually, that example is super easy. Put the music in the Primary Storyline. Cut using connected clips/secondary's. When you cut out a chunk of the song, all the attached video will go away too and the gap will be closed.

The Primary Storyline is the spine, and doesn't need to contain video. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Jul 15, 2016 at 4:05:38 pm

This might also help with deleting clips on the storyline.

http://alex4d.com/notes/item/3-kinds-of-delete-clip-in-fcpx

Return to posts index

brianlaz
on Jul 15, 2016 at 9:42:07 pm

Thank you for that!
Still not quite what I was looking for, which is to make an in point and out point anywhere and delete that slice of anything and eveything that occurs between those two points.
Not that big of a deal, and like I said, I'll keep messing with X and invite that special moment, when how I think about editing changes, and the word "tracks" is but a distant memory....
One thing that's cool...exporting in the background, woo hoo!

Brian

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Jul 15, 2016 at 11:12:13 pm

I did some testing and the encoding in background will pause if you are working in the storyline. However, export out a master and have it open compressor when done and then export from compressor into a .mp4 or whatever it will continue to encode while working.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 15, 2016 at 2:14:57 am

[brianlaz] "do i really have to select all audio clips in a timeline to mute them, rather than muting the "track," if tracks are still a thing here?"

Nope. assign Roles and it's 1 click. Simple

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]