FORUMS: list search recent posts

Subtitles

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
juergen steinbrecher
Subtitles
on Jul 13, 2016 at 8:08:15 am

Hey Guys,

Does anyone have a good way to bring all subtitles to the same position in the frame? I have hundreds of subtitles and some of them have been produced from different templates, thus some are more towards the bottom of the frame while some are more towards the middle. Is there a way to bring them all to the same "hight" within the frame?

Thanks for your help!

Jürgen

Return to posts index

Trust Helpful
Re: Subtitles
on Jul 15, 2016 at 12:37:56 am

If you export an xml then take it into a subtitling program and re-export subtitles you will get desired results.

I use Annotation edit. There are others like XTI and XTE as well as Subtitle Edit a very good windows program free and comparable with FCP xmls.

Trust

Return to posts index

juergen steinbrecher
on Jul 16, 2016 at 9:23:59 am

Thanks!

Is there no possibility inside FCPX? This is kind of the last thing we need to do before our screening. So I would rather not attempt to learn a new program.

For the future, though, this is a great advise!

Best,
J.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 16, 2016 at 2:06:38 pm

I'm assuming these were made with a Title effect in FCP X. You can try making a title template in Motion with the position you want. Then you can drag that template on top of the titles in your timeline. Select "Replace from Start". I think as long as you named your text layer the same as what the original effect had, it should transfer the original text over. Or maybe it will work even if you don't. Worth a shot.

I do this all the time for changing Lower Third styles.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

juergen steinbrecher
on Jul 17, 2016 at 9:42:44 am

Dear Brett,

Oh god... that seems like a really useful advise. I have never worked with motion, but tried to do as you told me, with the following, mildly successful, results:

I made a template in motion with the same setting as for my subs in FCPX (size 63, Helvetica, outline 3,0 and it turned on publish so I could later change them in FCPX). I published it and it showed up in FX factory templates. So I added it on one of my subs in the trailer (to try it on a shorter piece) and figured out:

-the size does not fit (63 in FCP must be around 43 in motion) which is strange
-I could not do it for all subs. I marked all of them – but i could only apply it to one of them at a time, with the just mentioned results.

again, I got motion as a present once – and opening it today for the second time.... So my questions might just be based on my ignorance, but would you be so kind to send my a workflow? The film has around 300 subs and it would be so dope not change them all by hand...

Thanks!

Jürgen

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 18, 2016 at 5:03:25 am

[juergen steinbrecher] "-the size does not fit (63 in FCP must be around 43 in motion) which is strange
-I could not do it for all subs. I marked all of them – but i could only apply it to one of them at a time, with the just mentioned results."

For the first point, if sizing is not right just right-click the title effect in the browser and select "Open in Motion". Tweak the text size in Motion. Then "publish" again. Then test it on a clip. Go back and forth until you get the sizing right.

You're right you can't batch "Replace". It has to be done clip by clip. But still likely better than rekeying text in. Once you get the settings right I think you'll be surprised how efficiently it will go.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

juergen steinbrecher
on Jul 19, 2016 at 7:12:52 pm

Thanks Brett for the great advise!

Best
J.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]