Copy Event To New Library

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Copy Event To New Library
on Jul 12, 2016 at 4:47:40 am

Here is the scenario:

Library A is on external drive with media located outside the library
Library B is on system drive with media location to be outside library but on same drive with library

I then copy an event from A to B only to find out the media is not copied. I have to use the consolidate button.
I do know libraries are independent of each other. I assume that because in both libraries the media is stored externally is why the media is not being copied only the symbolic link. Trying to figure this one out. I do see it says external media
stays in place. Any ideas as to why this is? Confused and losing what little hair is left.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
Re: Copy Event To New Library
on Jul 12, 2016 at 5:26:57 am

What are your import prefs set to? Copy to library storage location? Or leave in place?

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 12, 2016 at 2:03:07 pm

Copy to storage location. Originally the Library A scenario was a managed library. I consolidated out. This was followed by setting the new library on the local drive with media storage location being external.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 13, 2016 at 2:24:56 am

[David Mathis] "I then copy an event from A to B only to find out the media is not copied."

Where do you want to copy it to?

If the media is outside the library, why would you need to copy it again outside the library?

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 13, 2016 at 2:30:36 am

Hand drive to another editor.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 13, 2016 at 2:46:07 am

I guess I don't see why this is confusing.

If the media is outside the library, then it is outside the library in the original location. It doesn't matter where the library resides. If you want the media with the library, choose to manage the media in to the library, or if you need to duplicate a set of the media, then you need to explicitly tell FCPX to duplicate the media.

Otherwise, every time you moved a library form one drive to another, you'd duplicate the media every time which wouldn't be very efficient or smart.

It's just like any other NLE, you don't move the media, until you tell it to move the media.

When I copy a Pr project to another drive, the media doesn't come along with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]