FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX deletes my work after quitting or crashing!?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Brodie
FCPX deletes my work after quitting or crashing!?
on Jul 10, 2016 at 10:17:01 am

So I'm very annoyed. I was up all night editing a project, I made sure it has saved, and then quit the application and correctly shutdown my computer. I wake up, and the project has reverted itself to a few minutes after importing the first clip – effectively deleting all my work. This has happened several times, and the only way out of this is to finish the whole project and render it before quitting. But since FCPX is such an unstable program, it crashes itself 50% of the time while rendering. HOW DID A PROGRAM THIS UNSTABLE GET RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC? It's basically unusable. I am using 10.0.9, but I can't update because I didn't buy the program. Before you say I pirated it, It came preinstalled on a second hand computer. I'm only 12, so I don't have $200 to buy a new version.

Anyone know how to recover my project or stop this from repeating in the future?
Thanks. :–)

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: FCPX deletes my work after quitting or crashing!?
on Jul 10, 2016 at 11:14:40 pm

Yeah, the App store is tied to a person's account which asks you to enter your password. So you don't own Apps that you don't have the password for. 10.0.9 needs to be updated.

Even 10.0.9 did not crash like you are describing. But it may not be compatible with what is on the computer now. It has also been significantly improved. It is also possible that your drive is too full to be saving FCP X projects.

Step one is to go to the App store and download the latest software that works with your computer. I'd start with the OS X version that works with your used Mac. Get it under your account. iMovie is like $15. FCP X is $300. Find some way to make some money. People like to help out 12 year olds if they come across as respectful and ambitious.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Hans Kenemer
on Jul 12, 2016 at 3:44:36 am

I had the same problem back when I used Final Cut. The only solution I had was digging through my hard drive in an attempt to find any autosave files. Sadly, they were not there 75% of the time. I remember the countless nights I spent screaming at my computer because Final Cut had crashed and lost my project which had taken me hours to finish. I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but I'm not sure if there is a solution.

My only suggestion would be to make plenty of backups while working on the project. Maybe once you reach the halfway point, go ahead and render it so you at least have a copy of the first half of the project in case anything happens. (I hope that makes sense)

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 13, 2016 at 5:41:27 pm

If I recall correctly 10.0 need to have the FCP structure on the root of whatever hard drive was storing the media. Are your FCP files saved on the root level of the media drive (even if that is the system drive)?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]