FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Post and Mastering Workflow within FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marty Mulholland
Audio Post and Mastering Workflow within FCPX
on Jul 5, 2016 at 12:57:01 am

Hi all, I'm using Waves L2 and WLM to limit and test my video masters for broadcast compliance. I do have protools and have done this in audio world, but looking to streamline the process. If you've got any tips for getting audio within spec straight from FCP i'd love to hear it. I realise i can do this externally but for a few reasons i'd like to make FCP a one stop shop for this particular project.

It seems as though the volume automation on the timeline is POST effects, is it at all possible to have some volume automation as what goes into the limiter and WLM plugin?

Return to posts index

Trust Helpful
Re: Audio Post and Mastering Workflow within FCPX
on Jul 7, 2016 at 4:21:56 am

This may help you
http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1830-hollywood-veteran-lance-bache...

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jul 7, 2016 at 4:29:25 am

Michael Matzdorff's ebook FCP X In Focus I consider to be the textbook manual for pro workflow best practices in FCP X.

It describes the workflow they used on Focus.

I still use it as a checklist when I start and finish a job. Worth every cent.

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on Jul 13, 2016 at 3:25:41 pm

I usually do most of my audio from within Logic, also being a qualified sound engineer myself. However, it's a workflow I've been considering for smaller projects.

WLM is a great tool, the Plus version, which you will also have comes with an Inter Sample Peak Limiter and an audio Gain feature. This is a great option to put last in your audio processing chain, after the L2.

Just like there are some color grades that are better to put on Compound Clips that house the entire project, the L2 and WLM Plus will live better there. The trouble is the Volume Automstion comes after the plugins so this becomes an issue.

What you need to do in this instance is leave the volume set at 0dB and leave it alone and treat the Gain slider as your Master Volume. Any changes you need to make to your levels either do on the clips contained in the Compound Clip or do it to the Gain parameter of the WLM. The manual explains a good workflow regarding the plugin itself.

If you want to add anything else to your audio master chain then add it before these plugins. Eq, compressor, stereo enhancer, harmonic enhancer, whatever you feel the project needs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]