FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing Titles and Generators in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brendan Kelsey
Missing Titles and Generators in FCPX
on Jun 23, 2016 at 7:48:08 pm

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure this out. I have a project with all of the original media stored in the FCPX library on an external hard drive. I used Motion 5 to create a generator and a title for this project. Everything was great until I had to sell that computer and upgrade to a newer one. I knew the generator and title needed to not only be in the motion templates folder, but have the same filename and be put in the same folder. So on the new computer, I located the same folders and I copied the files in place. So I believe everything is where it should be and titled appropriately. For some reason when I open FCPX all of those generators and titles are missing with no way to relink them or see the file chain. What's weird is I can see them in the effects library. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
Re: Missing Titles and Generators in FCPX
on Jun 24, 2016 at 8:18:20 am

There is a kind of common problem creating "Template Paths" manually.

In Finder a path a) like "~/Movies/Motion Templates/Titles/myTitle" and a path b) like "~/Movies/Motion Templates/Titles/myTitle" obviously look like the same.
If you have a detailed view (for example pressing cmd-I) you will see the difference.
Path a): "~/Movies/Motion Templates/Titles/myTitle"
Path b) "~/Movies/Motion Templates.localized/Titles.localized/myTitle"

Path b) is be the correct one.
Final Cut needs "/Motion Templates.localized/TemplateTypea.localized/" path (i.e. the '.localized' extension).

So check the paths you created.

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Chris Faber
on Nov 25, 2017 at 5:55:42 am

I've got this issue. I'd love to know if anybody's found a solution to this --- other than editing an xml. Perhaps a third party program?

If not, Andreas could you share more details on how to edit the xml to point titles in the timeline to the new locations. I got myself into this because I wanted to re-organize more logically where my custom titles resided. I did this externally (because there is no way to do it internally as far as I could see.). Now in the browser things are well organized. And all titles in all timelines that use my custom lower thirds are offline.

If I understand correctly, I can export the timeline xml, find those titles in the text and somehow rewrite to tell it where to find the right ones?

I'd love to see a sample of the code change in an xml.

Chris Faber
Faber Productions

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 25, 2017 at 5:24:20 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Nov 25, 2017 at 5:28:06 pm

THIS is why many of us recommend against doing organizational work in the finder rather than just allowing the database in X to track the locations of assets as it was designed.

As MacOS continues to evolve with more virtualization, more security, more network interconnections, this "where's the file" game is going to get harder and harder to manage manually.

I certainly understand the allure of the old "folder culture." and spent decades in it as well - but after 6 years of X, (and as a non-networked editor) I literally am down to ONE root desktop level folder per Library as a container to house all my imported graphics and similar digital assets.

Then as long as I scrupulously download to - import from - THERE - I can just let X manage ALL the location arrangements.

If I need to go back and recover projects off deep storage - dragging that one folder back onto the desktop (root) fixes ALL the database location links automatically.

The ability to essentially ignore finder locations has been a HUGE time saver for me.

And even better, if after the project it put to bed - I can make that folder part of an archive Disk Bundle that also contains the Library - then recovery is a one launch operation, always.

This won't work for the large project folk on shared storage - but if you work projects at the desktop level - it's foolproof easy.

My 2 cents.

Creator of XinTwo -
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Nov 27, 2017 at 8:49:54 pm

It isn't the media though... this is only about your User / Motion Templates folder, and how your custom Titles, Transitions, and Effects are displayed in the FCPX interface.

The problem, as I understand it, is Brendan and Chris (and me and others) create new or modified effects / transitions / generators in Motion. After you've done this a few times, you realize a different grouping would be more efficient. So you go into your Motion Templates folder and reorganize a bit. Afterward, everything shows up just the way you want it in FCPX, perfectly usable, but some of your projects show your effects / titles / generators as Offline (even though they aren't).

I've rearranged my custom templates twice ('cuz I'm stupid), and fortunately haven't run into this problem.

This is an issue with the way FCPX stores paths to your effects in the XML, not a media management or workflow issue.

Doug Metz

Return to posts index

Chris Faber
on Nov 28, 2017 at 12:38:02 am

The issue is that there is no way to organize custom titles inside Final Cut. If I mistakenly save a custom title that I create in a "3D Titles" category in the titles browser, when the title isn't 3D I can't move it to another location in the browser. The only way to move it into a correct category is to do it in the finder.

It actually works fine in the sense that when you open up FCPX after doing this, the custom titles are where you placed them in the finder.

The problem is that custom titles that have been used in a timeline go offline. Apple could and should fix this, and has a variety of ways it could go. The simplest would simply be to create the ability to organize custom titles and generators from within the program.

Hey, let's ask for that through a feature request.

Chris Faber
Faber Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved