FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X Pro Res Proxy File Sizes v FCP 7 ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Smith
FCP X Pro Res Proxy File Sizes v FCP 7 ?
on Jun 19, 2016 at 9:11:38 am

Hi Guys

I mainly shoot 3 camera theatre / dance shows for dance / theatre schools on a part time basis. Final product on standard DVD, for a 2 hour show put them onto 2 discs. I am slowly migrating across to FCP X. I am just filming three 3 hour shows in 3 days so thought good time to try the multicam on FCPX . I was always happy transferring using Pro Res 422 Proxy on FCP7, so for example a 6Gb file size will transcode to 16GB approx and is saved as 1920x1080 . On FCPX I've noticed if Proxy media is 'checked' that 6Gb file size is transcoded a similar size to original size, but at half resolution 960x 540.
Is there a way to transcode Proxy media but at 1920x1080 with FCP X, to increase file size ?

The file size for optimized media on FCPX are 45GB for 6 GB file, so for these three shows we are talking approx 400GB per show.
That seems crazy and I would need to buy new hard drives most weeks! and can't afford that. We are not talking broadcast quality here just a good strong record needed of the shows which parents/performers buy.

The question I need answered is - if I edited a show at 960x540 proxy in FCPX, (I presume it takes the original file when exporting?) would the final product be of a similar quality to FCP7 1080 editing and exporting proxy ? or would FCP7 be better quality as they are bigger file sizes? A bit of a dilemma I need answering before the edit starts!
Sorry if this sounds naive but I appreciate any advice
Thanks

Neil

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: FCP X Pro Res Proxy File Sizes v FCP 7 ?
on Jun 19, 2016 at 4:39:03 pm

Proxies are just there to improve performance during editing. As long as you keep the original files on your system and switch back to Original quality before the final export- you will get original quaility.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Neil Smith
Re: FCP X Pro Res Proxy File Sizes v FCP 7 ?
on Jun 19, 2016 at 6:37:12 pm

Ok thanks Noah , so that should be ok for standard DVD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]