FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wont copy to library-camera icon in clip browser for pulldown removed p2 1080/24p

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Santos
Wont copy to library-camera icon in clip browser for pulldown removed p2 1080/24p
on Jun 15, 2016 at 3:19:30 am

I have used MXFX to remove pulldown:
Assume 3:2 pulldown
23.976 target fps

It imports ,plays fine, and shows proper in the info inspector.

However in the clip browser I have the camera icon.
On initial import and reimport from camera archive show the error: The following clip encountered an error during import and is still referencing media on the camera

Do I need to add the advanced pulldown after I removed the 3:2? Or are there logs I can look at to see why it is failing?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Wont copy to library-camera icon in clip browser for pulldown removed p2 1080/24p
on Jun 15, 2016 at 5:25:12 pm

[Eric Santos] "Do I need to add the advanced pulldown after I removed the 3:2?"

You either have advanced pulldown, or 3:2 pulldown, yo won't have both. If you shot 24pA, that's advanced pulldown, if you shot 24p, deepening on certain p2 camera, that will be regular 3:2 pulldown.

If you have footage that still has the camera icon, that means the operation was quit before it was done importing/rewrapping.

Removing pulldown is an analysis option in FCPX right in the import window. Have you tried it? See this screenshot:

Return to posts index

Eric Santos
Re: Wont copy to library-camera icon in clip browser for pulldown removed p2 1080/24p
on Jun 15, 2016 at 7:11:34 pm

I accidentally recorded our last session(8 cards) in 1080/24p, we usually do 1080/24pa and let fcpx remove the advanced pulldown.

Since the 24p footage plays back as interlaced, I removed the 3:2 with MXFX, but FCPX says import error and it will not import into FCPX when copying to library. It will play as long as the copied card is attached, but when I restart FCPX it get missing media.

Is there a place to see the import fail logs

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 15, 2016 at 7:27:40 pm

I don't have any experience with MXFX. Sounds like FCPX doesn't like whatever metadata was changed.

I'd import the 29.97 footage with the interlace, then use Compressor and the "reverse telecine" feature to get 23.98 media.

Alternatively, I'd also see what happens if you simply drop the 3:2 material in to a 23.98 timeline? X might be smart enough to remove the 3:2.

Not sure about any logs that are stored, but you could try Console in the Applcations > Utilities folder.

Return to posts index

Eric Santos
on Jun 15, 2016 at 7:56:28 pm

I posted a screen grab but it is awaiting moderation

Thanks Jeremy
I am trying that also, a member here is helping me create a droplet, see my other post here
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/43200

When I tried the reverse telecine with compressor, it came in fcpx as 23.98 but look like it removed the wrong frames as any movement shots still had full interlaced look

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 15, 2016 at 8:15:27 pm

[Eric Santos] "When I tried the reverse telecine with compressor, it came in fcpx as 23.98 but look like it removed the wrong frames as any movement shots still had full interlaced look"

I would imagine you had the settings wrong as reverse telecine has always worked very well in Compressor. You need to set the 23.976 fps twice, once in the Compressor window, and once in the Codec window (Frame rate: Custom > 23.976) make sure that your incoming footage is properly flagged as upper field first, and output fields to progressive

I just laid some old P2 24p with 3:2 pulldown on the timeline and the footage plays back correctly in a 23.98 sequence. I honestly think you don't have to do anything to this footage, except import it. Will MXFX allow you to revert the footage to it's normal state?

Return to posts index

Eric Santos
on Jun 15, 2016 at 9:55:54 pm

Thanks again Jeremy, one lesson I have learned from this is to check twice your camera settings before you start ;)

Ill recheck my settings and try again, but those like what I used.

I have the original clips, I originally made a copy of the P2 structure, imported that, remove pulldown was greyed out as it was 24p. Fcpx shows that as 29.97 with 3:2, I had the project set to set by first clip dropped in. Upon playback in the monitor and on my external(mxo2) I can see the interlacing.

I made another copy of the P2 structure, ran MXFX( assume 3:2, target fps 23.976) this is the one I cannot get fcpx to bring into the library but can play disconnected.

In the final output project( set by first clip added, all are 24PA, and fcpx shows 23.98 2:3:3:2 pulldown) when I add the 24p clips I get a black frame every other frame in fcpx.

If you could could you try a new project add a 1080/24PA to set the project settings then add a 24P clip and see if it looks right to you

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 15, 2016 at 9:59:57 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Jun 15, 2016 at 10:00:25 pm

[Eric Santos] " I had the project set to set by first clip dropped in."

That's the wrong setting as it will create a 29.97 timeline.

You need to specifically set a 23.98 frame rate in the Project settings.

Return to posts index

Eric Santos
on Jun 15, 2016 at 9:58:18 pm

here is the screen grab with the reverse telecine compressor clip
https://images.creativecow.net/181893/screenshot2016-06-15at12.47.36pm.png#...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 15, 2016 at 10:05:08 pm

These are the settings you need in Compressor:

Return to posts index

Eric Santos
on Jun 15, 2016 at 10:19:56 pm

Great, thanks.

Hopefully that is just the root of my issue. I will drop in a 24PA to set the project up for 23.98 then just drop in the messed up 24p clips

I was using the DVCPROHD 108030/24p codec I didnt know I would need to recompress it to prores, thought I could just remove the pulldown and keep it the same

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 15, 2016 at 11:59:21 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Jun 16, 2016 at 12:56:55 am

That's just what my compressor setting is set for. DVCPro HD is a fairly lossy codec, so if I'm going to transcode, I'd like to preserve any quality if I can, but you can use DVCPro HD if you want.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]