FORUMS: list search recent posts

Project "lost" when RAID accidentally disconnected

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Howard Bernstein
Project "lost" when RAID accidentally disconnected
on Jun 13, 2016 at 6:34:15 pm

Hi,

I lost a couple of hours worth of edits this morning. My thunderbird drive was accidentally disconnected. Final Cut Pro X came up with some kind of dialog as now nothing in the project was accessible. Rather than make the mistake of reconnecting something incorrectly, I force quit FCP X, and when I reconnected the RAID, the system rebooted.

Reopening FCP X, the library has a warning sign, and the project is annotated with "no data". I can open a backup from before I started editing today, but there is nothing after that.

If I open the library package, there is a project folder, with what appears to be some data file in it, but I have no idea how to, or if I can, reconnect that file, or even if my edits are held within.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Howie

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Project "lost" when RAID accidentally disconnected
on Jun 13, 2016 at 10:29:48 pm

Backups are made every 15 minutes. How are you accessing the backup?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 13, 2016 at 10:31:50 pm

What Brett said, and the backups are by default inside your movies folder.

Try opening the most recent backup and see if that gets you up and running.

Return to posts index

Howard Bernstein
on Jun 13, 2016 at 10:40:30 pm

I used "File->Library->Open Library->From Backup..." The latest one was from 10:15am, but I finished editing around noon.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 13, 2016 at 10:45:17 pm

See if there is one in your fcp backups folder in your movies folder that is newer.

It's possible that the corrupted library is unaware of a more recent backup.

Return to posts index

Howard Bernstein
on Jun 13, 2016 at 10:58:26 pm

There isn't :-( But in the library that's "corrupted" there is a currentversion.fcpevent file that has a more recent time on it. I'm tempted to try copying it into the backup to see if it has the edits? Is that where the edits are stored?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 13, 2016 at 11:04:43 pm

You can certainly try that. Just make sure you duplicate anything you try to do surgery on.

You can also try deleting the 'flexolibrary' but again, make sure it's to a copy of the library you are trying to revive.

Return to posts index

Howard Bernstein
on Jun 13, 2016 at 11:29:48 pm

Copying the currentversion.fcpevent didn't seem to make a difference. What's the "flexolibrary"? I didn't see anything with that name.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 13, 2016 at 11:38:00 pm

[Howard Bernstein] "What's the "flexolibrary"? I didn't see anything with that name."

Do a search inside the library.

It may not do any good. That trick helps when the library won't open at all.

Return to posts index

Howard Bernstein
on Jun 14, 2016 at 2:15:39 am

That didn't work. I'm really disappointed in FCPX. Oh well.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

-Howie

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 14, 2016 at 3:54:01 am

[Howard Bernstein] "That didn't work. I'm really disappointed in FCPX. Oh well."

I'm sorry this happened, FCP X isn't perfect.

I know this isn't helpful for this situation but I wonder why FCP X didn't back up your library all that time?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 14, 2016 at 3:56:42 am

If the library won't open how do access this "flexolibrary". There are a percentage of Macs that have thunderbolt issues where the drive will freeze and the Mac will reboot and sometimes on the units that have this problem I will end up with corrupted libraries that won't open.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Howard Bernstein
on Jun 14, 2016 at 3:51:42 pm

I just finished redoing my edits lost yesterday. Interestingly, at the end I was going to quit FCP to force a save, but it warned me there were tasks in progress... Transcoding and Analysis (6%), Rendering (0%) and Backup (0%). So I went to check the backup directory, and while there were a few backups 15 minutes apart, there were none for the previous 45 minutes of editing. So I paused the first two... Still no progress on the backup. I killed Transcoding and Analysis, and there was a blip in Backup, and magically the latest backup appeared.

This seems like some sort of a defect, but I don't know definitively if it's the T&A that's blocking the backup.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 14, 2016 at 4:04:31 pm

I usually allow T & A to complete before I start editing. If there turns out to be a problem with the original media being imported, before the edit is a good time to find out. I would close all apps other than FC and let the BG tasks finish if they can. Then check your BU folder and see what's there.

I know FC says it can continue BG tasks in the BG but at least on my computers that means it pauses the BG task until I stop what I am doing.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 14, 2016 at 6:06:21 pm

[Howard Bernstein] "This seems like some sort of a defect, but I don't know definitively if it's the T&A that's blocking the backup."

It's been my "watching a pot boil" experience that it seems to complete those tasks, and then once it's all clear it will do a backup.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jun 15, 2016 at 2:31:01 am

I've not had a good experience with the automated FCP X backups. Especially in a network environment where multiple computers open the library. I've gone to storing the library files on the system drive of each computer with Time Machine backups. Then nightly synchronization to update to the latest library files on each computer. It's worked quite well.

Of course, I'm storing media and cache outside the library which I highly recommend.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]