MultiCam angles are blank in Angle Viewer when playing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Langdon
MultiCam angles are blank in Angle Viewer when playing
on Jun 10, 2016 at 9:48:39 pm

MacMini 2.3 ghz i7 16gb ram intel HD graphics
FCPX 10.2.3

I have been editing for the first time in FCPX and jumped into MultiCam editing. After editing 7 songs in a 10 song concert edit, on the eigth song I am editing I am having the following issue: I select the active Audio and Video angles and start a MultiCam edit, using the blade to cut angles, etc. But as soon as I hit play, the Angles up in the Angle Viewer go blank, so I can't choose from them. When I stop the playhead, they reappear, I know they are there (also I can see them in the MultiCam editor).
It seems like some issue with Cache, which I recently changed the location (it was on the internal SSD drive, I switched it to the same location as the media, a Thunderbolt Lacie drive, and now with this problem I switched back to internal SSD but this didn't help). Once it helped when I restarted the program, but now it is not solving when I quit and reenter FCPX.
Once I also got a similar Angle Viewer aberration: angles flashed on and off as I tried to watch and edit in real time.
Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
Re: MultiCam angles are blank in Angle Viewer when playing
on Jun 10, 2016 at 10:08:46 pm

That's strange..

What codec are the files in?

Return to posts index

Alan Langdon
on Jun 10, 2016 at 10:27:51 pm

Hey, Darren!
Thanks for replying, as you can see, I followed your advice and am loving MultiCam. The speed is what impresses me, which allows one to focus on the editors 'performance'. Thanks again for your initial push :)

So, the files are in H264 .mov and also one channel has been trascoded (via AME) to ProRes because the originals (.MTS 1080i) were causing the system to lag a lot.

Some channels have Black & White applied to them.

I noticed just now that I had all the files in a specific channel turned off, because the cameraman just didn't get any good angles, and when I turned his channel back on, the problem disappeared, and seems to stay OK. If the problem comes back, I'll come back here, but it looks like FCP was not appreciating having one of the MultiCam channels with only Disabled clips.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 10, 2016 at 11:34:54 pm

[Alan Langdon] "OK. If the problem comes back, I'll come back here, but it looks like FCP was not appreciating having one of the MultiCam channels with only Disabled clips."

Glad you figured it out but that's as I said before, really really weird behavior. You might do some good by filling out a feedback report because I can't see a reason that should have done that.

[Alan Langdon] "The speed is what impresses me, which allows one to focus on the editors 'performance'. Thanks again for your initial push :)"

Yeah, it's kind of hard to go back once you get used to it.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 12, 2016 at 2:23:32 am

I've had what I think is similar issue where the multicam clips don't remain visible/active in the viewer. This is solved in my case by clicking the original multicam clip in the browser. This is annoying cause I like to close the window of the browser and library to make for a bigger viewer window.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Alan Langdon
on Jun 13, 2016 at 7:46:35 pm

Indeed, kind of annoying this... I will see if it solves for me too. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]