FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio video sync

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Schatz
audio video sync
on Jun 7, 2016 at 9:48:33 pm

Just started using Garageband and Final Cut to make music videos with my kids. I am presently trying to sync a video of my son playing the drums with the audio recorded in GB. I shot the video with the webcam of my macbook pro and recorded audio into GB thru 2 microphones and an audio interface. I didn't start the video and audio at exactly the same time but figured that I didn't need to. There is a bunch of extra video at the beginning before he begins to play and I trimmed the audio in GB so the tracks start right on beat 1. When i import the clips into Final Cut and synchronize, it puts the GB audio at the front of the video and not where he begins to play. I also tried trimming the video before I imported it but it still doesn't sync it properly. Just wondering what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for the help

Return to posts index

Christopher New
Re: audio video sync
on Jun 8, 2016 at 11:39:32 pm

I get the same problem sometimes when the audio from the different sources is wildly different qualities. The "pro" thing to do in the future is do a sync clap, which is the low-tech version of a slate that you see behind the scenes in movies, except all you do is clap your hands in front of the camera. Then, in post, you have a safety for the automatic sync, where you line up the peak of the audio track with the moment the hands impact each other. For the time being, just put both your video & audio in the same timeline, and position them as best you can by ear (use the 'nudge' keys—the period & comma on your keyboard—very helpful). Once you have it lined up, highlight everything, and create a Compound Clip (⌥G). Then disable the webcam's audio track & you have a synced clip to use.

In these cases, where the audio sync fails, I use Pluraleyes. It's $300 (last time I checked), but saves the day over and over.

Christopher New
Dallas Center, IA

Return to posts index

Jim Schatz
on Jun 9, 2016 at 12:57:38 am

Thanks I think I will try the clap next time. I think the problem was that the first beat was the kick drum which I had a microphone on but my laptop recording the video was further away. I was able to manually align the clips, although it took me awhile. How do you move or nudge the clip once it is attached to the main storyline? I kept deleting it and re-dragging until I got it about right. Thanks again for the response.

Return to posts index

Christopher New
on Jun 9, 2016 at 9:42:49 pm

You'll want to highlight the connected clip, then use the period and comma keys to move right or left (i.e., the < > keys, w/o the shift held down).

Christopher New
Dallas Center, IA

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 16, 2016 at 7:29:39 pm

Did u try a sync by creating a multicam clip? If not, worth a try.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]