FORUMS: list search recent posts

.mts (AVCHD) pains me

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Santiago
.mts (AVCHD) pains me
on Jun 7, 2016 at 1:47:37 pm

I have read enough on here in regards to AVCHD files in FCPX.

I have a client with major issues and the clips are average 10 min in length.

Beach balling constantly on both nMac and 5K iMac.

I manage to (took way too long) to convert them all to Optimize/Proxy.

I haven't sat down and looked at it yet but what are most doing with their workflow when they receive this format?

I'm 99% RED eco in my facility.

Never ever ran into anything so slow in my life.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
Re: .mts (AVCHD) pains me
on Jun 7, 2016 at 5:24:05 pm

They are a pain for me too. Iv'e had less issues when I have FCP X rewrap them using the import window. It's only spanned files that aren't Red that I do this for. Otherwise I just drag and drop.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 7, 2016 at 6:19:38 pm

What camera are the AVCHD files from?

I edit AVCHD from my Sony camera without any problems on my Mid 2012 MacBook Pro, 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7, 16GB Memory, GeForce GT 350M, all the time. My source libraries are usually on an external USB 3.0 drive and I never create optimized media or proxies. I just edit the native AVCHD files as smooth as butter.

I always create Camera Archives from my camera cards and import from the archives. Never had any problems.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 7, 2016 at 7:58:45 pm

[John Rofrano] "I edit AVCHD from my Sony camera without any problems "

John I believe you cause I have other colleagues that dont run into this issue.

However it equals others that have so its never an exact science.

I dont know the specs other than it was shot in HD.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 7, 2016 at 8:21:44 pm

[John Rofrano] "I always create Camera Archives from my camera cards and import from the archives. Never had any problems."

This is the best way to go if you have the camera cards and aren't handed a drive with copied card media. (Forgot to say this)

It's the best of both worlds, native card structure is preserved in case, and the rewrapped QT files work great in FCP X.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jun 7, 2016 at 9:48:07 pm

I think it would be fair to say that FCPX is at its best with ProRes so the best workflow is always going to be to get your source files to ProRes asap. If I choose not to do that for whatever reason, I generally rewrap the AVCHD files using Editready before I bring them into FCPX.

Can't say that Editready does anything different to FCPX in the rewrapping process but I personally feel like the footage plays better out of It.

(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for the stupid mistakes and bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 8, 2016 at 6:31:11 pm

[Jeff Kirkland] "Can't say that Editready does anything different to FCPX in the rewrapping process but I personally feel like the footage plays better out of It."

Hi Jeff,

Since the last pro video formats update the FCP X rewrapped MXF files have been working great. Before that the Sony and Canon files were crazymaking. Relinking was a major pain, now it's as fast as ProRes.

Return to posts index

Doug Suiter
on Jun 8, 2016 at 8:10:50 am

I just finished a project and had the exact same experience. I'd love to see if someone can offer any tips.

DOUG SUITER: FCPTalent
Find Production and Post Production Talent, Free.
web: http://www.fcptalent.com
twitter: @FCPTalent

Return to posts index

Christopher New
on Jun 8, 2016 at 6:57:20 pm

I suggest NEVER dragging the files directly off the card. Always (if you can) import directly from the camera or card. This allows FCPX to rewrap the files as .mov in the process, whereafter you can move the files around in whatever way you wish. (I even recommend using FCPX for import to an external library if you're using Premiere or Avid, as then you'll have standalone files, as opposed to the half-(_|_)'d way Prelude does it.

If your client hands you a drive with the files copied off the SD/CF card, then you just have to live with the pain (or ask for the original card…or get someone at their facility to do the DIT before they hand over the drive…or find a program that does the transcoding faster–I'm thinking of MPEG Streamclip, but that's defunct now).

Christopher New
Dallas Center, IA

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 9, 2016 at 5:29:08 pm

[Christopher New] "If your client hands you a drive with the files copied off the SD/CF card, then you just have to live with the pain"
Actually, If your client hands you a drive with the files copied off the SD/CF card with no folder structure, ask them if they also removed the tape from their miniDV cassettes? Essentially this is what they are doing. The AVCHD folder structure is the "container" for the video. It is the "cassette". Tell them to stop that and give you the entire AVCHD (or whatever root folder) on a hard drive. Have them put each AVCHD folder into a nicely named folder so you know what it's for.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 8, 2016 at 7:22:20 pm

[Doug Suiter] "I just finished a project and had the exact same experience. I'd love to see if someone can offer any tips.
"

A no brainer for me but since I inherited this project I didnt do the basic steps of just taking the whole media folder and converting to ProRes 422 in Adobe Media Encoder.

Now the client is happy she can edit in FCPX with no beach balls :)

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jun 9, 2016 at 12:15:16 pm

[Eric Santiago] "...AVCHD files in FCPX...clips are average 10 min in length...Beach balling constantly on both nMac and 5K iMac....
I manage to (took way too long) to convert them all to Optimize/Proxy....I haven't sat down and looked at it yet but what are most doing with their workflow when they receive this format?"

Is this 1080p or 4k? I've edited lots of 1080p AVCHD content on a 2013 and 2015 top-spec iMac 27 with no problem, not even using proxy mode. These were from a variety of consumer camcorders such as the Canon HF-G30.

If it is 4k or for some reason the codec is more difficult, using proxy is the best approach. Generating optimized media may not be necessary. It consumes more time and space to generate -- using only proxy is often sufficient. Of course you must remember to set the viewer to proxy, then set it back to optimized/original before the final export.

I sometimes use EditReady to re-wrap the AVCHD content before importing, but I don't think it's necessary except to make browsing easier at the Finder level. Since FCPX is so fast I usually just import everything -- usually with "leave files in place", vs browsing at the file level. It is usually fast enough to skim and make the initial selects, then if it's multicam or more speed is required, I generate proxy media only for those selected clips.

For whatever reason if you still have problems even after trying proxy ONLY, I'd suggest EditReady -- it is very fast and works well.

Return to posts index

James Taylor
on Jun 16, 2016 at 10:10:27 pm

I edit a lot of footage from a set of Sony handycams - same problem with the AVCHD files. Brings my Macbook Pro to a slow crawl. Especially with 9 angles of AVCHD files in a multicam clip.

I now run everything through ClipWrap. It doesn't actually convert anything, just wraps it. Very fast. And my Macbook loves the files. Wouldn't edit AVCHD files without it.

JT

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 16, 2016 at 10:15:12 pm

[James Taylor] "I now run everything through ClipWrap. It doesn't actually convert anything, just wraps it. Very fast. And my Macbook loves the files. Wouldn't edit AVCHD files without it.
"

If you import via the import window as opposed to drag from the finder to the event FCP X does this as well and you don't have to wait to start cutting while it is importing in the background.

Is there something that ClipWrap does that has advantages to letting FCP X rewrap the files? I stopped using it since native MXF handling came.

Return to posts index

James Taylor
on Jun 21, 2016 at 6:13:36 pm

Not sure about that. I've had trouble with it even with the most recent version of FCPX. Maybe my laptop just doesn't like it. Does this wrap the original files, or make new media that is FCPX friendly?

JT

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 21, 2016 at 9:11:42 pm

It does the same thing AFAIK that clipwrap does by wrapping the original media in a .MOV QT container. (Something I had to do with CW in the FCP 7> days.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jun 21, 2016 at 9:59:56 pm

[Darren Roark] "It does the same thing AFAIK that clipwrap does by wrapping the original media in a .MOV QT container. (Something I had to do with CW in the FCP 7> days."

ClipWrap will also add a bunch of metadata, and transcodes the AAC audio to PCM. Maybe it's the audio conversion that makes it 'friendlier'... ??

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 22, 2016 at 4:24:23 am

[Doug Metz] "ClipWrap will also add a bunch of metadata, and transcodes the AAC audio to PCM. Maybe it's the audio conversion that makes it 'friendlier'... ??"

I'm of the mind that the further away you get from your camera originals the more complex things can get later on.

Many AVCHD consumer and prosumer cameras record audio in AC-3 which back in the day was problematic. The pro cams record uncompressed PCM. The test could be to make a duplicate timeline and render the audio which makes uncompressed render files.

If the behavior doesn't go away then it wasn't the audio, if it was then clipwrap away.

Is there camera file metadata that clipwrap can extract that FCP X doesn't? I stopped using it once I didn't need to anymore. If it does I want to know, you can't have too much metadata.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jun 22, 2016 at 12:51:35 pm

[Darren Roark] "Is there camera file metadata that clipwrap can extract that FCP X doesn't?"

I can test this later today - the camera I have on hand is the Canon HF G10. The single most annoying issue with this camera is that every clip starts at 00:00:00:00...

Will report back with results.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jun 27, 2016 at 7:07:49 pm

I was able to test this with an FS7... ClipWrap mangled the spanned clips on a simple re-wrap (lost a few frames at the transition point), while FCPX brought everything in perfectly.

Bye bye, ClipWrap!

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

James Taylor
on Jun 27, 2016 at 10:35:54 pm

So what did you end up with for media?

At the moment, I use clipwrap to wrap everything in an .mov file. I archive the originals. I then import the wrapped files into FCPX. That keeps my libraries as small as possible.

When you import the AVCHD files into FCPX, do you just have the one set of files? Or do you end up with originals and the wrapped files? Is the file size for the library double?

JT

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jun 27, 2016 at 11:05:12 pm

[James Taylor] "So what did you end up with for media?"

Clip #1.mov, Clip #2.mov, etc...

[James Taylor] "At the moment, I use clipwrap to wrap everything in an .mov file. I archive the originals. I then import the wrapped files into FCPX. That keeps my libraries as small as possible."

That's exactly how I was using it. I want to keep everything external, and I don't want or need to transcode everything.

Because we do so much media sharing between jobs, I create one Library per volume and then each new job is an Event in that Library. Makes things easy to share, keeps the job folders separate and clean, and I can put 50+ jobs on my RAID before I need to move stuff off. I can't justify one drive per job, I've already got too many... it's just too much hardware.

I don't particularly want to open FCPX prefs every time I import, but with AVCHD I now have to. Generally, crew transfers footage from cards to portable HDD (one folder per card). I store this original media by job (in a job folder with a name that makes it easy to find).

Now I'll have a 'Final Cut Original Media' folder in each job, with another folder inside with a date stamp. Date stamps. They're nice and all, but when I'm searching for a 2-year-old edit, I search by job name and/or number. How the fig would I remember what date it was shot? So, more Finder management.

[James Taylor] "When you import the AVCHD files into FCPX, do you just have the one set of files? Or do you end up with originals and the wrapped files? Is the file size for the library double?"

Generally speaking: untouched original camera files and re-wrapped .mov where necessary for edit. All external.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]