FORUMS: list search recent posts

keying

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashish Sah
keying
on Jun 6, 2016 at 8:18:38 am

I am keying a video, in which actor had wear some green print dresses. Background is also green. whenever i key whole green colour goes out including dresses colour also. i know it is wrong to wear a green print dresses in green screen. is there any way to safe my video.

Ashish

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: keying
on Jun 6, 2016 at 4:11:58 pm

you can crop out the unwanted green. you can load the original clip into its own timeline while still in the browser and color correct it - turning the green to whatever helps.. B and W might do the trick too. anything left green will get keyed. another possibility is to mask out the image and then shoot against a blue background and create a compound from the mask image and the new background then key using blue.

its funny I always wondered why they needed so many people to work on a film. but the more production you do the more you get it. ahh wardrobe department: prevents continuity problems and green fabric in a scene that will be green screened. etc. never mind the artistic side of using authentic costumes and or modern takes on them.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ashish Sah
on Jun 7, 2016 at 8:01:33 am

Hello Craig
thanks for your response. i am uploading one of those frame.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 6, 2016 at 4:56:16 pm

Ashish,

The only thing you can really do in a situation like this is to create a traveling matte to isolate the object and let you overlay the original picture over the keyed area.

Tools like CoreMelt's Track X makes this much easier if the subject is in motion.

Good luck.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Ashish Sah
on Jun 7, 2016 at 8:04:01 am

Hello Bill,

Thanks for your response. i am uploading one of that frame related from video.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 10, 2016 at 8:20:54 am

I'm sorry to have to say it, but there's nothing you can do to pull a clean key in this situation. The background and the subjects attire have literally NO color or luminance difference that will allow you to separate them.
Your only options are a) reshoot changing either the costume or the background color - or b) manually create a matte for every individual frame (rotoscope.)
I suppose you could do a travel matte in an oval shape or do a draw mask that sorta follows her form as she dances - but it's NOT going to come anywhere near approaching the precision of a traditional key. That just won't work here, sorry.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 10, 2016 at 2:36:36 pm

Frame by frame rotoscoping is super common these days- you could do this with the animation tools in Photoshop or in Fusion- now free. And next time you see the director- remind them kindly that in order for keying to work the backdrop can't share the same color as the foreground subject.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Jun 10, 2016 at 6:37:03 pm

Wow, that is a classic.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 10, 2016 at 8:01:18 pm

very sloppy mask but you get the idea.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 10, 2016 at 8:20:56 pm

You can get close with Hawaiki Keyer, I didn't try too hard to clean the edges/spill. But this is on a still... no idea if it'd work at all when she's moving. Had to put a cutout copy of her skirt underneath the key, so you'd likely need to roto it as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jun 11, 2016 at 1:02:15 pm

I'm always impressed when I use the Hawaiki Keyer but that result is pretty neat.

Hopefully it's a long time before whoever thought that shot was a good idea is employed again.

(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for the stupid mistakes and bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 12, 2016 at 2:50:32 am

Did a search for Hawaii Keyer and was pretty impressed. some really cool tutorials from that company that explains how to use the features and how they are better than the built in keyer. My only concern with third party stuff is it makes each FCP X update more complex and a possible loss of the plug in and possible expense. I'm hoping even more than a better keyer is a new update to FC will improve the audio filters and effects. Gain works pretty well but back ground noise reduction is terrible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]