FORUMS: list search recent posts

archiving projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
archiving projects
on Jun 5, 2016 at 5:29:27 pm

has anyone tried saving a fcp x back-up (tiny) file plus all used media card copies and testing to see if a project would be recreated in FC? This would be a way smaller archive than cloning the entire FC folders, library, etc.

LTO seem to be the long term back up solution but my concern is that they are proprietary and therefore not future proof. I figure that if I have a copy of the final project export and an archived copy of final edit and media cards that I would be pretty safe moving forward and keeping our media raids empty for new work. Further that I would use single drives and keep a list of what projects were stored on them - much cheaper and less risky than using raids. Important projects would be copied to a second back up drive for redundancy.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: archiving projects
on Jun 5, 2016 at 9:54:26 pm

LTO is more future proof than say - PATA or IDE hard disks... We just had to hunt down an adapter that could mount an old PATA DMA1 drive. We found it, but I doubt that we'll be able to find such an adapter in another 5 years.

When you deal with technology, migration needs to be part of your plan if you're looking at more than a few years of retention. Even if you use SATA disks today, there's no guarantee that any computer available in 10 years will be able to connect and mount them.

If you do look at a third party archival solution, ask them how they migrate their data container(s) from one technology to another to protect from this situation.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 5, 2016 at 10:44:03 pm

good points. what about the fcp x back-ups able to recreate a project using card copies. does that work?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jun 5, 2016 at 11:54:01 pm
Last Edited By Tim Jones on Jun 5, 2016 at 11:56:45 pm

You're still dealing with whatever your current technology is and needing to plan for your longevity requirements, so keep that in mind whatever path you take.

For immediate "backup", the FCP X mechanism is perfect. However, how will you deal with that backup in 10 years? It may be that creating an archive of your original clips and then creating an XML export of your project would give you longer access - if you need the project tomorrow, FCP X will happily import that XML and whatever software is being used in 10 years has a better chance of reading and manipulating that XML export that the native FCP X format.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 6, 2016 at 12:10:51 am

So i should think of the FCP back up as a back up for a current project to go either back in time or recover from a corrupt library and xml to transfer or archive a completed FCP project. seems easy enough. I guess its worth testing the result of each project before assuming the archive is functional. And yes keep tabs on them as time goes by. These are in addition to exporting finished projects as master quick time files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]