FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying Libraries to External AND Keeping All Effects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Krieger
Copying Libraries to External AND Keeping All Effects
on Jun 3, 2016 at 10:33:09 pm

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for the best way to copy my libraries to a new external RAID drive I just purchased. I am using external media (vs. managed media) for each library/project.

I moved a library and all external media over via the Finder only to realize none of the Effects (color correction, etc) went with it. Researched it. On Apple's site, it says you need to copy the Motion Templates folder (in my ~/movies folder), but it doesn't say where to copy it to on the new drive.

I'd love to find a solution to this w/o having to copy everything again. Or...at the least...find the best workflow which includes copying everything - including effects, 3rd party plugins, etc.

Thx!
Jeff

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
Re: Copying Libraries to External AND Keeping All Effects
on Jun 3, 2016 at 11:42:11 pm
Last Edited By Darren Roark on Jun 3, 2016 at 11:46:28 pm

As far as I know you need to leave them in your ~/movies/Motion Templates folder.

What I've had to do when collaborating with others is copy the folder to the external drive and then copy whatever effects that don't have installers over to the same locations inside the other computer's motion tempates folder manually.

In some cases there were effects that were opened and modified in Motion so I had to get the other editor's copy to get it to work.

There are a lot of people hoping there will be a way to media manage effects and generators with the library, myself included.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Copying Libraries to External AND Keeping All Effects
on Jun 4, 2016 at 12:19:19 am

Your effects and third party plugins need to be in the Motion Templates folder on the editing computer's system drive. Some effects can be backed up by just copying the Motion Templates folder to an external drive. Some will need a copy of the installer file and license code. Then if you were moving the project to a new computer, you would reinstall the plugins and/or copy the contents of the Motion templates folder back to the new machine.

it's not something I necessarily back up per-project but I do make sure I have an up to date copy of every plugin I own or have created (especially created) myself, just in case I need to install them again, and I also keep a folder for any external font I've ever installed for a project because it's very easy to lose those over time.

(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for the stupid mistakes and bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]