FORUMS: list search recent posts

synchronizing multiple Audio and Video clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Langdon
synchronizing multiple Audio and Video clips
on May 30, 2016 at 3:14:38 pm

I am new to FCPX (10.2.3) and have been watching tutorials on Audio and Video synching, but noe seem to help me with this challenge:

What I have:
A 90 minute live performance recorded with 5 cameras and one audio final mix.
The cameras recorded all at 23.98 except two of them, which were 29.97. All captured the audio at a good volume level. One camera generated MTS files, the rest .mov files.
The mastered audio is split into several files (one per song) and all are 48khz, 24 bits, Linear PCM.

What I want:
Edit the performance using the mastered audio clips, and having the cameras synchronized to this audio as well as with each other. So in short, I have several clips for each camera angle, and the audio is split into several clips, one for each song.

The FCPX synchronization tutorials I have seen do not address this sort os scenario, because they usually suppose that the cameras each short from start to beginning, as well as the audio. But here the video is not split into songs, but rather split based on each camera's file size limit. And the audio is not one file for the whole show, but rather several files, one for each song.

I know this probably needs to happen via Compound clips, but I haven't been able to find the workflow. I do NOT intend to edit this as MultiCam, but rather the old-fashioned stacking of video tracks, which is more what I am used to form FCP7.

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
Re: synchronizing multiple Audio and Video clips
on May 30, 2016 at 4:59:53 pm

What you can do is give each camera an angle in the inspector before syncing. Give the cameras an A B C D and so on, and the audio recorders I would give a Z angle so it is on the bottom.

The different cameras will be stacked together as long as there is footage. (No more tracks)

I realize you don't intend to use the multicam workflow but I can't recommend it enough. I didn't use it much in the FCP 7 days as it was kind of a mess. FCP X multicam is a joy.

I just finished an hour long comedy concert recently that had ten angles, I don't know how we would have done it so easily without it.

There is no harm in trying both.

Return to posts index

Alan Langdon
on May 30, 2016 at 5:22:30 pm

Darren, thanks for your advice!
How would the workflow you described change if I were to venture into MultiCam land?

Return to posts index

Alan Langdon
on May 30, 2016 at 5:25:12 pm

Aldo, how do I give a camera an angle? I seem to be able to change each clip's Camera Name, but I can't see where to define a camera's Angle.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 30, 2016 at 8:57:39 pm

Open the inspector and select info and change the metadata view to general or extended.

For multicam it's the same process except you select make multicam clip instead of synchronize the prep is the same for both.

Multicam land is a fun place. One big advantage of multicam editing in FCP X is when you do your color, if you set a general look on your angles in the multicam viewer it will ripple through your cut for every instance of that clip.

Saves a lot of time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]