FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV 60i in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anna Tam
HDV 60i in FCPX
on May 28, 2016 at 2:32:14 pm

Hi,

I posted a similar post in the Premiere forum because I'm trying to figure out which would be the best program to capture and edit 60i and then upload it to youtube without interlacing issues.

In FCPX, when I capture the footage (from Canon XH A1) there aren't any setting options. Which timeline settings should I apply to the sequence in order to be able to export it in HD to YouTube?

Thank you!

A.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
Re: HDV 60i in FCPX
on May 29, 2016 at 1:24:15 am

You can set your project to 1080 @ 30p then add a generator first so it doesn't revert to 60i automatically if set settings to first clip is set.

It will automatically deinterlace the footage.

Return to posts index

Anna Tam
on May 29, 2016 at 4:23:08 am

Thank you very much for your reply!

Would it cause problems in exporting if I put the footage on 1080 @ 60P? Should I then deinterlace it by checking the 'deinterlace' box in the video info panel?

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm combining the footage from the HDV tape, with footage from animation which is 60FPS and when I put it on the 30P timeline it looks less smooth.

Thank you,

A.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 29, 2016 at 4:42:05 am

You could do it that way sure. The interlaced fields are a one frame increment of time, they are just half res so FCP X will be filling in the other half by line doubling essentially.

It won't be as sharp but I've seen acceptable results.

The other option is you could export the clip out as 30P and then bring it back in the 60P timeline.

Return to posts index

Anna Tam
on May 29, 2016 at 5:52:40 am

Oh, I think I understand, do you mean exporting the 60i footage from the tape into 30P via a 30P FCPX timeline, and then bringing it back to a 60P timeline where both the tape footage and the 60FPS animation footage could co-exist?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, do you think all of this in vein because primarily this video is going to live on YouTube and YouTube doesn't recognize 60P?

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 29, 2016 at 2:47:33 pm

[Anna Tam] "do you mean exporting the 60i footage from the tape into 30P via a 30P FCPX timeline, and then bringing it back to a 60P timeline where both the tape footage and the 60FPS animation footage could co-exist?"
You can but don't. Darren was giving you other options thinking that you wanted 30p but now that we know you want to deliver 60p, all you need to do is check the Deinerlace option under settings for your clip and the clip will be converted to 60p. There is nothing more to do. This is one area where FCP X is a lot easier to use than other NLE's. Click Deinterlace, Done!

Once again... If you are planning to deliver 60p you DO NOT want to render the clip as 30p and bring it back in. That defeats the whole purpose of converting 60i to 60p.
[Anna Tam] "Also, if you don't mind me asking, do you think all of this in vein because primarily this video is going to live on YouTube and YouTube doesn't recognize 60P?"
I'm not sure why you think this. YouTube has supported 60p since 2014.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Anna Tam
on May 29, 2016 at 4:50:10 pm

Thanks so much for the helpful response. Sorry for being confusing.

I followed your instructions, I set a timeline based on the first clip that I dropped from the 60FPS animation. It created a timeline which is 1080p | HD. I then brought in the filmed 60i footage from the tape and checked 'deinterlace'.

I don't see any interlacing lines, but there is still significant inconsistency in quality from one frame to another, every few frames there's a very blurry and seemingly degraded frame, and after a few frames it's sharp again.

I'm including a couple of screenshots, first one is of the blurry/degraded quality frame, the second one is a few frames later when the image is sharp again, and the third one is of my entire project and you can see my project settings and clips.

Screenshot 1 (Blurry Frame)
Screenshot 2 (Sharp Frame)
Screenshot 3 (FCPX Screenshot)

Is the change in quality between the frames happening because of the 60i/de-interlacing?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 29, 2016 at 8:11:05 pm

[John Rofrano] "Once again... If you are planning to deliver 60p you DO NOT want to render the clip as 30p and bring it back in. That defeats the whole purpose of converting 60i to 60p."

The options were regarding what was more important motion or resolution. 60i to 60P is filling in the other 50% of the res vs combining the two fields to make 30p.

Return to posts index

Anna Tam
on May 29, 2016 at 8:26:42 pm

Thanks.

Does this mean that if I want the motion (of which there's a lot of, dancing, and singing) to remain sharp, I'm better off following your (Darren) suggestion?

That is - putting the 60i on a 30p, exporting it as 30p and then bringing it back to a 60p timeline where the 60fps animation is? Or in this case will FCPX do the same thing and when the 30p is on the 60p timeline it will create blurriness where there's motion because it will duplicate the frames to create 60 of them?

I'm confused about this because even when I create a 30p timeline, generate a place holder, and then drop the 60i onto the timeline, some frames are still very blurry and other sharp. It's something like 20 sharp 10 blurry, but not exactly. I tried checking and unchecking the 'deintrlace' box, and tried different Field Dominance override settings.

Would it be useful if I uploaded a short clip I captured?

Thanks so much for all the help.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 29, 2016 at 8:53:55 pm

What is the exact frame rate of your footage? Something seems off to me.

Yes uploading a short clip would be helpful. Make sure it hasn't been re-transcoded, that it's directly from the capture. .

Return to posts index

Anna Tam
on May 29, 2016 at 9:27:49 pm

Thank you, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this.

The footage was shot on a Canon XH A1 HDV, and I used the 1080 60i settings. The Camera was on Auto, all the other settings were left on default (I reset all the settings before I started shooting) and the focus was controlled manually.

This is a link to the captured file from FCPX.

https://we.tl/UPZd6s95cT

Is it possible that for some reason FCPX isn't capturing the footage right, and that's why there's blurriness on on some of the frames?

When I looked at the tape on the camera itself, on the viewer, it looks much sharper than the captured result.

Thanks,
A.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 29, 2016 at 10:04:16 pm

Anna, it's also possible that all your frames are simply not calculated yet.

Do this test. Park on a frame.

How does the quality look there?

If that image is to your tastes, it's actually quite likely that will be what you get when your export is fully rendered and exported.

There are exceptions - but quite often, what X shows you in order to let you work quickly and fluidly, is not the same as the resolution and quality you'll get when everything is said and done.

I always recommend that if you're worried, don't accept the interface presentation at face value. Do a test. Take a sample range and export it and perhaps even post it to the service you're eventually going to target. Trust THAT.

Good luck.

New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by...

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on May 29, 2016 at 10:25:02 pm

I find that FCPX's deinterlacing can be a little underwhelming at times. If all else fails try using JES Deinterlacer on your footage first.

https://jeschot.home.xs4all.nl/home.html

(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for the stupid mistakes and bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 29, 2016 at 11:41:51 pm

The footage looks like it was correctly captured so that can be ruled out.

The blurry frames look like camera motion blur which is normal.

I did a few tests and what looks best is 30p with frame blending and deinterlace enabled. That said, 60p with deinterlace looked pretty darn good too just slightly softer as FCP X is creating the other half of the lines of resolution where the 30p is using information from two fields to create a frame.

30p is sharper but you lose the fluid motion, 60p preserves motion but the image is somewhat softer. It comes down to what is important to you. Motion or sharpness?

https://f1.creativecow.net/10143/60p-deinterlace?uploaded=file

https://f1.creativecow.net/10144/30p-with-frame-blending-and-deinterlace-ch...

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on May 30, 2016 at 12:39:06 am

With my Canon XA-20 I can shoot 60i, but that is really just the way they describe AVCHD 30 fps with interlacing. For sports now, I shoot 60 p (MP4)(60 fps) at 35 Mbits/sec and that gives the best results and can be directly uploaded to Youtube. It also looks great when you go to 50% for slow motion.

On the other hand in all the film school classes the teacher practically insist that we use 24p with a 180 degree shutter to make it film like.

Go figure.

Return to posts index

Anna Tam
on May 30, 2016 at 4:40:43 am

Thank you so much, Darren. So grateful that you (and everyone else who generously shared their knowledge!) took the time to help me with this. I didn't realize it was the camera motion blur that caused the blurry frames.

The thing that most important to me at this point is sharpness, so I will follow your recommendation to edit on a 30p timeline and turn on frame blending and de-interlacing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]