FORUMS: list search recent posts

25P Multicam into a 23.98 project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
25P Multicam into a 23.98 project
on May 26, 2016 at 6:41:10 pm

I've inadvertently edited a 25P multicam sequence into a 720P 23.98 project, FCPX won't now let me change the frame rate of the project and if I cut and paste into a 25P Project the multicam is still in 23.98. Am I missing a simple way to get back to 25P?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: 25P Multicam into a 23.98 project
on May 26, 2016 at 6:53:23 pm
Last Edited By Steve Connor on May 26, 2016 at 7:32:56 pm

So FCPX won't let me switch "off" the rate conform after I've cut and pasted into the 25P sequence, even it's just a single non-multicam clip?

I'm going to start re-edting my two days of work and hope someone can provide a "fix" I suspect, however it's not possible

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 26, 2016 at 8:09:01 pm

Put a 25p clip in the timeline first, then copy paste the sequence in. That will force FCP X to make your settings stick.

By default it wants to make the settings at whatever the first clips are.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 26, 2016 at 8:12:13 pm

Doesn't work I'm afraid, the clip from the 23.98 sequence still has the rate conform on it

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 26, 2016 at 8:09:34 pm

My experience with these kinds of frame rate mishaps in FCPX is nothing short of a cluster bomb.

I think it would be best to start over, especially if you need to XML out to anything else.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 26, 2016 at 8:14:12 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "My experience with these kinds of frame rate mishaps in FCPX is nothing short of a cluster bomb.

I think it would be best to start over, especially if you need to XML out to anything else.

"

I have already thanks Jeremy, I'm pretty sure the rate conform is 'baked in" and can't be undone. I'd love to be proved wrong though because if you can't change it then it's pretty stupid 'feature"

At least you could choose to "conform" in previous versions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 26, 2016 at 8:31:39 pm

[Steve Connor] "I have already thanks Jeremy, I'm pretty sure the rate conform is 'baked in" and can't be undone. I'd love to be proved wrong though because if you can't change it then it's pretty stupid 'feature"

At least you could choose to "conform" in previous versions"

I had a recent project where the timeline was started in 24.0, footage was 23.98 (not be me of course! :)

I tried to change the Project rate with a copy/paste, and very clip that was moved down into the Primary would somehow add a frame to the clip, so it would knock everything out by a frame. It was a nightmare.

I had to manually replace every shot from the Browser, and it shook loose the weirdness.

You've already started, but redoing everything at the proper rate will serve you much better in the long run.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 26, 2016 at 8:47:24 pm

Can you do a test and select the same section of your cut in both timelines and see what the total runtime is?

I'm hoping that the same section is shorter in your 25fps timeline.

If it's working as it should it won't say that the multicam clips framerate has changed which is confusing.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 26, 2016 at 9:54:58 pm

Interesting - a 20 second multicam clip from the 23.98 sequence is 19.07 secs in the 25P sequence

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 26, 2016 at 10:12:50 pm

That sounds about right. You lose about a frame per second worth of time.

Does it look good otherwise?

Are you going to be exporting it to another app via XML?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 26, 2016 at 10:32:24 pm
Last Edited By Darren Roark on May 26, 2016 at 10:34:21 pm

I learned this the hard way as there was no other evidence it was changing the frame rate to match the project settings 1:1 that the length was exactly the difference it should be.

The pitch being perfect threw me off.

I think it's fixed as that's exactly how much shorter a 20 second clip should be at the new speed.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 27, 2016 at 6:24:33 am

It did appear fixed, but for some reason the pitch is off! I'm replacing music tracks on the footage and the pitch and timing of the "reconverted" clip is different than the original.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 27, 2016 at 7:09:35 am

Does duplicating the project and detaching audio fix it?

I haven't had the pitch be affected for a few years now. It normally just makes the audio play faster or slower with no pitch shifting.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 27, 2016 at 4:03:01 pm

Doesn't fix it I'm afraid. I'm editing the piece again, but thanks for trying

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 27, 2016 at 4:04:30 pm

[Steve Connor] "Doesn't fix it I'm afraid. I'm editing the piece again, but thanks for trying"

I honestly think it's the only way.

I even resorted to trying to edit an FCPXML back to the desired frame rates, and it didn't like it.

The best way is to start over and do it right. I'd also send feedback to Apple.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 27, 2016 at 6:20:24 pm

I'm sorry to hear that.

Although the timing change was going to happen editing one frame per second slower, the pitch shouldn't have changed.

Would it be possible to post a sample of both timelines just for my own understanding?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]