FORUMS: list search recent posts

multicam click at each cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
multicam click at each cut
on May 25, 2016 at 6:01:43 pm

Two cam shoot. only one cam's audio being used. other cam's audio turned off in inspector. sync looks good. cuts between angles working fine. but at each cut little audio click so you can hear the edit points. Do I need to nudge the sync by a frame or separate the audio track or what? Did not have this problem the last time I did a multicam. Edits were set to cut to visuals only (middle icon in viewer).

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: multicam click at each cut
on May 25, 2016 at 6:14:18 pm

I like to expand audio components on the first cut and drag out the audio track the length of the multicam portion. Then turn off audio in all the other cuts. So it's similar to breaking apart audio to get an unbroken audio track, but without breaking sync. You may want to group them in a secondary timeline as well to keep the clips synced together.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 25, 2016 at 6:41:36 pm

Thanks Bret,

Not sure I follow.

I have the multicam clip on the timeline.
In the viewer I have the cut icon set to visual only.

In the inspector one angle's audio is turned off

The other is on.

I expand audio.

Not sure what you mean by drag out audio track ...

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 25, 2016 at 6:54:34 pm

Audio is always cut along with the video. Sometimes resulting in an audio pop. So take the fist clips audio an drag it out under all the video cuts like a big L cut. Make sense?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 25, 2016 at 7:10:16 pm

Here's a screenshot of a multicam. See how the highlighted clip's audio goes underneath multiple clips. The clips it goes under don't have any audio (it's turned off in inspector). I tend to do this for each speaker/audio source once the image is locked, and before audio mix because it's easier to adjust one level than a bunch. Also easier if you've added compression or eq. As well, as you can see, often I'll overlap and do a fade between the speakers.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 26, 2016 at 4:14:38 am

Thanks. Expand audio components did the trick. Seems like a bug to me since its not detached, so why would it make any difference.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 26, 2016 at 2:00:00 pm

Audio pops on audio edits have been a staple of NLEs for over 20 years. Don't mess with tradition!

Return to posts index

David Powell
on May 27, 2016 at 7:01:07 am

You most likely put an effect on the audio in the angle viewer. Makes perfect sense why you would. Unfortunately when you do this in FCPX, you'll get a pop on each cut. All audio filters have to be added in the storyline which is a drag considering you have a cut on the audio and video together.

Apple Fix this!

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on May 31, 2016 at 10:18:07 pm

Similar setup (3 cameras), same problem. I've cut plenty of multicams before in FCP X and not had this problem. This is the first one I have cut in this version of FCP X.

I have 3 cameras, and have selected the audio from one of them. There's either pops/clicks at a cut or 'something weird' with the audio, where it seems to diminish in loudness just a bit before picking up again after the cut.

I'm halfway through the edit, and I have now detached the audio from the video. Naturally the audio track cuts are still there and all have the same name, but the audio glitches are still there too. I have made no changes to the audio, nor added any filters or other effects.

This particular edit's audio will be replaced by a professionally captured and mixed track, but I am hoping that the audio weirdness isn't also reflected in any video sync problems.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 1, 2016 at 7:16:12 pm

Yeah something changed in X.

check the setting in the inspector and instead of detaching audio try the expand audio option mentioned above. worked for me but still put off by a lack of audio sense in multicam. the problem with detaching is it defeats the very benefit that multi cam is good at - sync. been a while for me but last time it seemed the audio was seamless. also i remember selecting each cam's settings in advance for either visual or both or audio. now it seems more confusing in that the icon on each clip will change in the viewer with the icon really being used for the type of edit being performed. But maybe that was a step forward. Not sure.

i'll be doing this a lot more this summer so I'll get more of a handle on it. But as far as my understanding it ... I have no idea why expanding audio would prevent a pop and a visual only edit would produce one.

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Jun 5, 2016 at 10:32:47 am

Was any audio filter applied to the clip? I had this problem in the past. It's extremely annoying and had to use Logic Pro X and edit it without any audio filter to remedy the situation.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 5, 2016 at 4:21:02 pm

"Was any audio filter applied to the clip? "

Not sure.

Some may have been added upon import (the auto analyze/fix function might have been on) though I don't prefer this.

I know I switched the settings in the inspector to dual stereo and turned off one of the 2. Is that considered a filter?

Expanding the audio did the trick. Plus it does improve the visual presentation of the resulting multicam clip in the timeline.

I would really like the audio editing to improve in FCP X. Some things work in the inspector, some on the timeline, some require effects. I'd like it in one place and consistent rules of application.

Is there any way to adjust the levels of each channel (of a stereo pair) independently (other than panning or detaching the audio track)? Could not find it anywhere. And again I clearly remember doing this in the past.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]