FORUMS: list search recent posts

MultiCam Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
MultiCam Question
on May 23, 2016 at 6:50:32 pm

Hey all -

Editing together a three camera shoot of a presentation. All cameras were synced to time of day, free run (works fine). All had sound board audio and reference audio. My question is that the fellow on camera three started and stopped his camera during the show whereas one and two kept rolling. Am I SOL using MultiCam with camera three? Tested out one and two and they sync fine. If I highlight all the separate clips from three, will FCPX know enough to drop them in? Sorry for the newbie question, as I am doing my first MultiCam of my career (I have done a lot of live punching on a switcher, but first here in an NLE). Thanks in advance.

Scott

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: MultiCam Question
on May 23, 2016 at 8:05:51 pm

Assign three camera angle names to the three....camera angles :) and FCPX will know what to do with them. It will add the stops and starts to the same angle.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 23, 2016 at 10:49:38 pm

Thank you! Having nothing to compare to (or be biased by), this works really well.

One more newb question: can you add an angle after the fact?

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 23, 2016 at 11:00:04 pm

You mean after you sync? You can sync more clips after you've sync'd the original batch ("Sync to monitoring angle"). You can also move the start and stop clips in to their own angle after they are in sync to consolidate them in to one angle in the Angle editor.

It's very flexible.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 23, 2016 at 9:38:08 pm

I usually label each camera angle in the order I want the angles to be in the inspector. A B C and onward. I also label the audio as Z so it's at the bottom.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 24, 2016 at 4:47:35 pm

Thanks Noah -

Another question. This client I am working with also does interviews of about 20 minutes long with two cameras. We will then pick out the nicest sound bite and create a 60 second commercial. If I were to sync up these two cameras into a multi-cam clip, what is the best way (or is there a way) to go through the mc clip and kword collect or 'favorite' the best areas? Can I do this on a mc clip like any other and still keep the ability to switch angles if needed? Thanks in advance.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 24, 2016 at 4:58:36 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Thanks Noah -

Another question. This client I am working with also does interviews of about 20 minutes long with two cameras. We will then pick out the nicest sound bite and create a 60 second commercial. If I were to sync up these two cameras into a multi-cam clip, what is the best way (or is there a way) to go through the mc clip and kword collect or 'favorite' the best areas? Can I do this on a mc clip like any other and still keep the ability to switch angles if needed? Thanks in advance."

I'm not Noah but I'll take a shot at this.

The X multicam ROCKS for this.

First, make a Multiclip with your two angles in the traditional way (assigning angles up font is ALWAYS important). If you like, you can then go into your event browser and treat the multicllp just like any other source clip - which means you can REJECT or FAVORITE parts of it to hide or reveal.

Say you rejected a bunch of stuff, when you bring these "selects" into a Storyline for use, you can call up the angle editor and literally SWITCH angles directly on your storyline as needed. You can also ROLL your edit points (T key and use the double bracket curser to move the edit point) to change the cut timing.

IMO, it's pure joy if you have a bunch of multicam stuff and are working in FCP X.

Have fun.

New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by...

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 5, 2016 at 4:58:06 pm

Doesn't one need to be careful to create a new compound (multicam) clip? Won't it otherwise ripple any changes made to the clip to previous uses of it?

Hope that's clear. I wish the ripple behavior was an option and not the default.

Hope also my FCP vocabulary is accurate. Not sure that changing all versions of a compound is called a ripple?

Also not sure if multicam clips are treated exactly like other compound clips?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on May 25, 2016 at 3:32:38 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "f I were to sync up these two cameras into a multi-cam clip, what is the best way (or is there a way) to go through the mc clip and kword collect or 'favorite' the best areas? Can I do this on a mc clip like any other and still keep the ability to switch angles if needed?"

Multicam behave as any other clip in the event. I.e. favoriting, rejecting, keywording etc. does the same thing as with any other clip.

Having had to do a multicam with PPro 2015 recently (containing clips of various resolutions for one), I can only concur: MC in X definitely rocks in comparison to any other MC I have used. I have fresh bald patches to prove it. ;)

- RK

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 26, 2016 at 1:01:28 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "I can only concur: MC in X definitely rocks in comparison to any other MC I have used."

I have to agree. These were hour to an hour and 30 minute long three-camera shoots and it worked very well and saved my sanity. One more question. My camera three was roving and did not have a board audio feed. His camera mic picked up sound but levels were all over, depending on where he was. On my last presentation, his camera would not sync and I had to add an angle and do it manually. Is there a way to force X to look at the code versus waveform for sync? I saw that there was a starting timecode in the dialogue box. If I uncheck audio for sync, will X automatically look at timecode on the three angles? Thanks in advance.

Scott

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on May 26, 2016 at 1:29:31 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on May 26, 2016 at 2:41:35 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "I saw that there was a starting timecode in the dialogue box. "

Do you in fact have jam-synced TC?? Because otherwise that's relatively pointless. Though having relatively synced date/time stamps (as in in +/- a few seconds at the worst) and using "Content Created" AND audio as your angle sync could very well improve the sync a lot.

Syncing by TC requires jam-synched TC to work. By content created you need at least fairly synchronous date/time stamps. "Start of first clip" syncs by in-point of every clip, and by marker, well, self-explanatory I'd say.

[Scott Witthaus] "If I uncheck audio for sync, will X automatically look at timecode on the three angles?"

It actually is (of course) much more brilliant than that. You can leave the audio syncing on, no matter what. Because if you select a different angle synchronization method, then FCP X will simply use that method FIRST, but still will do a secondary check of the audio to see if there are any discrepancies and make further adjustments if needed. You can test that by setting a marker very very roughly (i.e. not frame accurate) on two clips that have syncable audio, set it sync with markers, but leave the audio sync on as well. It will still sync perfectly.

A good method to speed things up on very long clips, since FCP doesn't have to search for an initial joint sync-point first. At the same time, if you in fact have any other frame accurate reference (e.g. via TC) turning the audio sync OFF can also speed things up, since it won't do the analysis.

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]