FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time Lapse Video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Neuman
Time Lapse Video
on May 23, 2016 at 5:06:07 pm

I'm using Final Cut version 10.2.3 and I'm trying to make a time lapse video involving nearly 80,000 images. I haven't had a problem before making time lapse videos but then again they were only a few thousand pictures versus 80,000. Every time I try to drag the images over to import, Final Cut freezes/crashes/beachballs. I have 179GB of flash storage out of 500GB available on my MacBook Pro with specs:

MacBook Pro: (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk: Macintosh HD
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

I even took the auto-render off thinking that would speed up the process but still to no avail. My boss suggested I downgrade to Yosemite from El Capitan and even though I have everything backed up I'm scared I'm going to lose stuff. Should I try to uninstall and then reinstall Final Cut? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
Re: Time Lapse Video
on May 23, 2016 at 9:30:56 pm

What format are the images?

Return to posts index

Ryan Neuman
on May 24, 2016 at 1:34:56 pm

They are jpg's generally around 180KB in size

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 24, 2016 at 4:48:39 pm

That shouldn't be a problem.

Two things come to mind.

First, I've seen corrupt picture data files were every time the computer tried to stream the image data, the computer would crash.

Second, it might just be the sheer number of files overflowing some data buffer somewhere.

You could try starting with a few thousand images in a folder and see if you can get that imported.
If so, Divide the rest in half and try importing that. If THAT fails, use a smaller subset.

Basically dividing the import will reveal IF it's a capacity or a bad file issue (if it's actually one of those) and the divide into batches will eventually reveal the bad file if you keep separating every pool into a group that successfully imports and another that doesn't.

Good luck.

New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by...

Return to posts index

Ryan Neuman
on May 24, 2016 at 5:23:35 pm

Well I ended up going back to Yosemite and it still moves pretty slow but it doesn't completely crash on me anymore which is a plus I guess. I cut down from importing 10,000 images at once to 1,000 and it takes about 10-15 minutes each time to import. Sometimes when Final Cut comes back to life it'll show that none of the images imported which is annoying and then I'll have to reimport, maybe it's just something I have to learn to be patient with?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 24, 2016 at 8:45:13 pm

This sounds like a very frustrating process.

I'm with Bill that some of the JPEGs could be corrupt. There are corrupt jpeg finder apps I've used in the past. AFAIK FCP X does check files as they are imported so what you are experiencing points to some rough files.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on May 25, 2016 at 12:05:56 am

Make an image sequence in compressor and export as a .mov and then bring that into FCPX and have at it. I've done quite a bit of time lapse and this method has worked well for me if the amount of stills more than a couple of thousand. Even then it's better than making the sequence in FCPX and then turning it into a a compound clip.

Return to posts index

Ryan Neuman
on May 25, 2016 at 1:51:08 pm

I just tried the compressor method but it only exports one image instead of the whole thing, could I be having issues since I'm pulling these images off another network? They're not saved directly to my computer. I followed this tutorial:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]