FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better ways to sync audio for multicam?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dondré Gumbs
Better ways to sync audio for multicam?
on May 18, 2016 at 11:02:55 am

I greatly appreciate the amount of information I get from this forum, so I'm back with another question!

I do a lot of dance videos in public spaces, so I am unable to play the music too loudly in a lot of cases, which then is an issue when it comes to syncing audio for creating a multicam since the audio is not loud enough in the video to sync with the audio file. Usually I try to have the cameraman hold the speaker or whatever is playing the music (usually a phone), but is there any other or better way to make sure they always sync other than just increasing the volume?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Better ways to sync audio for multicam?
on May 18, 2016 at 5:04:14 pm

Do you mean better ways to sync during production? I've taped a walkie talkie next to the mic of each camera and then another to the audio source. Total hack but works like a charm for getting a usable multicam sync.

If you're talking about getting better sync in post-production, you want Plural Eyes.

https://www.redgiant.com/products/pluraleyes/

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Dondré Gumbs
on May 18, 2016 at 8:06:58 pm

Thank you for your response!

I just realized, I guess I meant for both during production as well as during editing!

Walkie talkie! Nice idea! However, wouldn't there be some sort of slight desync by doing that, or no? I'll try this next time!

And for Plural Eyes, I watched a quick tutorial, and I was wondering what exactly is the difference between Plural Eyes and FCPX multicam automatic synchronization? I saw a greater range of options for Plural Eyes (ex. more options with audio and using it visually to confirm sync, etc.). Is it just stronger than FCPX's sync?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 18, 2016 at 8:16:33 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on May 18, 2016 at 8:16:50 pm

It works like gangbusters for me.

And sure there might be a frame or two off- but all the walkies will receive at the same time so you could always slip the sync by a frame or two if it doesn't look quite right in FCPX.

This will easily get you into the ballpark. Since the range you'll be dealing with is not likely to be more than 10-30 feet, you can get very inexpensive walkie talkies.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on May 19, 2016 at 6:39:32 am

There is always the old fashioned way use a slate with clapper to mark the sound on the camera and external track.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 19, 2016 at 11:17:43 am

Indeed but clapper alone won't always guarantee automatic syncing via audio.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on May 19, 2016 at 12:57:45 pm

[Dondré Gumbs] "And for Plural Eyes, I watched a quick tutorial, and I was wondering what exactly is the difference between Plural Eyes and FCPX multicam automatic synchronization? I saw a greater range of options for Plural Eyes (ex. more options with audio and using it visually to confirm sync, etc.). Is it just stronger than FCPX's sync?"

PluralEyes is vastly superior to the audio sync in either FCPX or Premiere CC. The FCPX audio sync works pretty well for smaller cases, up to 40 or so clips -- provided the audio is good. It also requires all the clips from each camera or angle be named in the metadata, which is a straightforward manual step before syncing.

If FCPX sync fails you don't get an error message, it just puts the clip in the wrong place. I have seen it fail on four-clip projects when sound levels were good but there was a lot of echo and background noise. The PluralEyes sync algorithm must be more robust as it consistently works better in difficult cases.

FCPX or Premiere CC cannot do sync drift compensation, which happens if one camera/recorder runs slower than another on a long take. PluralEyes automatically handles that.

The latest version of PluralEyes allows importing all clips from all cameras into a single bin, where it then automatically identifies and segregates each camera and recorder.

We once shot a large multi-week project with all the field audio recorders each set to the wrong date/time. This meant it was almost impossible to match those to the corresponding video. Fortunately Pluraleyes could search across many hundreds of clips in various subfolders and matched them all in a single pass.

PluralEyes is not perfect but it works very well. There is a reason why people continue using it even though editors have built-in audio sync.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 20, 2016 at 2:14:41 am

Yep Pluraleyes is worth every cent for anyone doing more than very occasional multicam in FCPX.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]