FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import to FCPX as safe card copy?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Byker James
Import to FCPX as safe card copy?
on May 9, 2016 at 5:43:39 pm

Hi all -

I do a lot of shooting on the road and for a while, I've been copying my camera cards to a hard drive each night, then backing up that hard drive. Then, when I get home and am ready to edit, I import into FCPX, copying the files to the library. What I'm wondering is this: Am I gaining anything by copying the files to the hard drive first? I have a backup copy of everything on another hard drive.

What I'm considering is just importing directly from the card to FCPX instead of having that redundant copy on the same hard drive, since both would be gone if the hard drive failed, anyway.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

- Bruce

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Import to FCPX as safe card copy?
on May 9, 2016 at 5:51:09 pm

Up to you. I've never run into a situation where having too much backup of my precious footage is a bad thing.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on May 10, 2016 at 12:12:39 am

Last time I was travelling for a shoot I had two external drives. I copied the camera card to drive A, then imported from the card copy on Drive A to an FCPX library (media externally managed) on drive B. That way I had tested my first copy and had a second copy on drive B that I could browse and get started with organising and adding metadata.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on May 10, 2016 at 3:39:23 am

I have also been wondering about whether copying both the card and importing into FCPX then backing up both of those is overkill.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on May 10, 2016 at 4:06:11 am

It depends on how valuable the footage is. My minimum when travelling is to have a verified copy on two physical drives. When I'm not on set, one copy stays in my hotel room safe, one copy comes with me.

Once I'm back in my office, the card gets copied to safe(ish) storage on a redundant RAID server and the FCPX library gets copied to my main work drive. The work drive is synced to a drive in another building every three hours. I also hold off deleting anything from the external drives for as long as possible.

That's about as few copies as I can manage and still feel my media is safe.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on May 12, 2016 at 7:19:50 pm

I never copy to FCP directly as my card copy. The reason why is that (particularly when you're working with different people and different formats such as AVCHD) I never assume all of the clips for a card were imported. Once clips are imported there's really no way to tell if that's all the clips on the card or even in my case - created from EditReady. This is especially important with AVCHD type formats where you have multiple clip names the same (clip 1, 2, 3, etc.).

Here's my process:
  • Shoot (or receive cards form shooters)
  • Each card gets copied to a uniquely named folder (as a reel) on a drive. That drive has a clone which is managed using Decimus Synk.
  • Import into FCP X from the clips on the drive.
  • In the FCP X import window I can choose which clips if I am not importing all of them, but at least I know I have a copy of what's on the card or version of every clip on the card backed up - being I use Edit Ready heavy now.
  • Run NeoFinder on the drive that stores my source footage as backup.

* Side note: The reason I use EditReady is to make sure each clip is uniquely named, not just the folder. I usually do this in an autonumber increment. FCP X can do the same thing in the app, but it doesn't change the Finder level name. Having unique names tends to mean I don't have to have separate folders either because I can leverage the metadata in the file to sort the clips at the OS level and in FCP X.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 12, 2016 at 6:01:41 pm

Editready does seem to address some organizational needs I have, I use a lot of P2 footage from Panasonic 250 cams.
Does editready handle AVC-Intra?

I'm always however a little concerned about using third party software that would remain a factor into the future. Is the media and metadata that editready produces independent of the software that produced it? Meaning if editready license was no longer active or the company stopped supporting it or whatever ... are the files and metadata that it produced still readable by FC and OS X?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jun 13, 2016 at 12:58:52 pm

Yes, EditReady does support AVC-Intra. And yes, the footage produced is completely independent of the app.. All it does is convert/rewrap your footage. You just get more control from an external app than you do in FCPX.

(For some reason I can't edit my own posts so apologies in advance for the stupid mistakes and bad English that I can't go back and fix)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Melbourne, Australia | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 13, 2016 at 4:13:37 pm

My field workflow:

Step ONE: Each completed or "day end" camera drive or card gets "cloaned" as either a FCP X Archive or an external Sparse Disk Bundle. I do this to insure that all possible Volume level metadata is preserved. I don't really know if I'll ever need go go back and reference any global metadata that *might* not be preserved. A particular manufacturer might decide to store all the potentially useful volume metadata at the card level - or not to reflect that metadata into the camera clips — but I can't see any reason to have a workflow that fails to preserves ALL the upstream metadata - no matter which camera I'm working with. This is initial archive is stored on a "Traveller" (A) drive.

Step TWO: Clone the Bundles/Archives to a second (B) traveller drive. I use simple Costco 4tb USB portable drives on location since these are inexpensive and easily transportable. One in my carry-on, one in my checked equipment case. (and I often keep the original cards in my camera case as a tertiary safety)

Step THREE: Upon return to my office, I immediately copy all my clone archives onto a Vault drive (C) that sits in a USB connected firesafe in my office.

That's my field footage protection system for live projects. Eventually, a copy of the Firesafe clone gets packaged with the whole project Library, the progress XMLs and the Extras folder - and reflected onto two separate drives for long term storage, but that's after the project goes into Archive status.

My editorial workflow in support is:

In the field, I initially switch between mounting the A or B drives as I do my early work to confirm they were written properly. Mounting either will populate my X database so I can immediately start tagging and annotating the shoot inside FCP X. I update my Libraries as needed keeping them in sync. Is I prep and edit, I also regularly do instant simple FCPXML exports that preserve my progress. This get tossed on both the second field drive as well as onto a thumb drive since the files are trivially small.

Back home, I keep both the A and B drives on my desk and continue updating them so I always have two copies of virtually everything at hand in case of a single drive failure. This includes a folder of "Extras" that contains all the Graphics, Sounds and otherwise linked files needed to rebuild the Library should I ever need to.

Every few day, or at worse every weekend, I reflect all the small files and Extras into the (C) safe drive so the entire edit is protected.

Just my way. There are plenty of other ways to do this stuff.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 14, 2016 at 2:46:19 am

It's just a form of redundancy, but I have had it pay off several times in two different ways. I have had libraries/media become corrupted and the back up card saved the day.

And I have had final cut not be able to read the media that was reported as successfully imported into the event. Then when i have tried to relink using the card copy, got a report that the card copy could not be read either. This has happened a number of times and the remedy was this: I copied the card copy back onto a P2 card. I put the card back in a P2 cam. Got a report that the card could not be read (not sure of the language used but that was the gist). Switched to playback mode in the camera and the camera rewrapped the card so that the footage appeared as clips. switched back to record mode and no more error message. Reimported into FC and all was well. Without the card copy ... goodbye footage.

So my guess is that the card was not imported completely even though FC reported it was. And apparently the camera actually wraps the card in the playback mode rather than the record mode. But I'm making this part up and don't really know how media cards work but its logical since the card is reformatted in playback mode when you erase the clips. You can delete clips instead but generally its suggested that between shoots - reformat .

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]