FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrade recomendations (to current computer)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
Upgrade recomendations (to current computer)
on May 8, 2016 at 6:34:51 pm

OK, first I must fess up. I use a hackingtosh. I have used it flawlessly for several years for editing professionally. Anyone who has any problems with this please stop reading;).

OK, so I am thinking of upgrading my computer.

Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H. i7-3770 CPU,16GM RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, RAID5 (4 disks, 6TB) & RAID0 (2 disks, 4TB) Arrays (WD Black Drives).

I use both Première Pro and FCPX (so I am asking a similar question on the PP forum). As I only have 16GB so going to 32GB is a no brainier. I was thinking of going to a 6th gen 4Ghz CPU but have been advised it is not worth it. May go to a i7-3770K and over-clock. My goal is to be able to edit 4k more smoothly. I can just about edit 4k prores proxy but GH4 camera files are too much, but I think I would need a dual socket Motherboard and a couple of 4Ghz CPUs to do this, but beyond my budget (I think).

So if I think I wont upgrade the CPU/Motherboard the graphics card seems the best option. Now PP supports OpenCL (and because I also use FCPX) I am thinking a AMD card. My Motherboard has two full sized PCIx slots but only one is 16*, the other is 4*. Was wondering if 4x was actually any use, could get a couple of AMD cards, wondering if it is worth it and which cards to get. My current PSU is a 550 and only have 2 power connectors for GPU (both currently used) so may need to upgrade this.

Wondering what cards to get. Could afforn around 250 pounds (maybe a bit more), may get used.

So what do people advise?

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 3550 3.3Ghz, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 16GB Mem

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Upgrade recomendations (to current computer)
on May 9, 2016 at 6:06:21 am

Think you would get better info on a hackintosh forum.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]